Now you can have your favorite breakfast whenever your heart desires! This French Toast in a Mug only takes a few minutes to whip up using a microwave and simple ingredients. It can also be easily adjusted to fit keto, gluten-free, and paleo diets!
French toast is a breakfast delicacy and something that (up until now) was reserved for special occasions when I actually have time to cook it!
It occurred to me when I was whipping up one of my Almond Butter Mug Cakes that if you can make eggs in the microwave, you can surely make french toast as well.
Another great thing about this recipe is just how versatile it truly is. It can be easily tweaked to fit a wide variety of dietary preferences including keto, paleo, gluten-free, dairy-free, and low fat/low cal.
Ingredients and possible substitutions:
- Bread – Any bread that you like will work fine. You can use homemade keto bread, paleo bread, traditional bread – you get the point right?! To make mine keto-friendly, I used Aldi Zero Carb Bread!
- Maple Syrup – Use any kind you like, that fits into your dietary preferences. I used Lakanto Sugar-Free Maple Flavored Syrup!
- Heavy Whipping Cream – Sub with coconut milk or almond milk for paleo or dairy-free.
- Vanilla Extract
- Ground Cinnamon
- Blueberries – I love adding fresh blueberries to my french toast, but you can leave them out or swap them with a different fruit if you’d prefer.
Tips for perfect microwavable French toast:
Just like with traditional French toast, stale bread is best. I keep a bag in my freezer and put those last few slices of bread in it before they go bad. This prevents food waste, and more importantly ensures perfect French toast!
If time permits, it’s best to prepare the French toast up until the point of microwaving then refrigerate for at least a few hours to allow the liquid to completely soak into the bread.
You can even prepare several “mugs” worth of this over the weekend and then they will be ready for microwaving on busy weekday mornings. I haven’t tried freezing it yet, but that is next on my agenda!
Microwave ovens vary a lot, the first time you make this you may want to check on it every 30-45 seconds to prevent overcooking.
Lastly, I’ve never had any trouble with the french toast sticking to the mug but if that becomes a problem for you, then simply grease the mug with butter, oil, or cooking spray.
If you like this, then be sure to check out these other great recipes from This Mom’s Menu:
- Easy Make-Ahead Breakfast Scrambles
- Low Carb Freezer Biscuits
- Homemade Low Carb Granola 4 Ways!
- Keto Bananas Foster Pancakes
- Blueberry Pancake Casserole
- Raspberry Almond Chia Pudding
- Low Carb French Toast Casserole
- Keto McGriddle Sandwiches
- Low Carb Sausage Pancake Muffins
- Keto Waffles
French Toast in a Mug
- Coffee Mug
- Cut or tear the bread into approximately 1" cubes.
- Add the eggs, maple syrup, heavy cream, cinnamon, and vanilla to the mug. Stir until everything is well combined.
- Add the bread and blueberries (if using) to the mug. Stir to combine making sure that all of the bread pieces are well saturated with the egg mixture.
- Microwave for 1 minute, carefully remove from the microwave and stir. Return the mug to the microwave and cook for an additional 90 seconds. Let the mug sit in the microwave for 2 minutes before removing.
- Serve with additional syrup and berries if desired!