These Thai Corn Fritters are the perfect side dish or appetizer for all of your summer gatherings. With fresh corn, cilantro, coconut milk, and green onions they are super light and fresh as well!
This Mom’s Menu is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links but all opinions are my own. I may earn money from purchases made through the links shared here (at no additional cost to you)
There isn’t anything much better than fresh summer corn. It’s right up there with watermelon and strawberry shortcake on my list of top summer delicacies.
This recipe is one of my favorites because it amplifies the flavor of the corn without being too heavy.
Here’s what you’ll need to make these Thai Corn Fritters
Fresh Corn Kernels are the absolute best for these corn fritters. (Check out this post for tips on easily removing corn from the cob.) In a pinch, you can use frozen corn, but unfortunately, it won’t be nearly the same. I do not recommend using canned corn.
Cilantro and green onions are essential and I don’t recommend substituting them or leaving them out.
Egg, Flour, and baking powder are used for binding the corn fritters and preventing them from fro being too dense.
Canned Coconut Milk – I suggest full-fat canned coconut milk, but reduced-fat coconut milk or coconut cream can also be used.
Ginger or ginger paste. Ginger paste will change your life because it makes it SO easy to enjoy to keep fresh ginger on hand all the time.
Garlic Chili Sauce adds the tiniest bit of heat. If you don’t have this, you can sub about 1/4 tsp of chili flakes and 1/4 tsp of garlic.
Red Curry Paste is optional. It adds a little bit of warmth to the recipe but they are still delicious without it.
I use Coconut Oil for frying these corn fritters since the coconut flavor goes so well but any oil suitable for high heat will work.
Tips for making the best corn fritters
You can mix the batter together up to several hours in advance. Be sure to store it in the fridge until you are ready to cook. The corn fritters are best when served immediately after cooking, but if that isn’t possible don’t worry – they are still delish even if they have to sit for a bit.
Make sure that the cooking oil is very hot before adding the batter to the skillet. After dropping the batter flatten the fritter out to ensure that the center gets cooked all of the way through.
I suggest using a thin spatula such as a fish spatula, to flip the corn fritters. This helps to ensure that they don’t fall apart.
How should I serve these corn fritters?
These fritters go really well with a variety of dishes. They are especially good with seafood, grilled chicken, or light Asian dishes. Here are some suggestions:
They are great all on their own or topped with sour cream or the dipping sauce recipe that I included. You really can’t go wrong!
Be sure to check out these other great recipes:
- Mexican Street Corn Salad | Keto
- Keto Corn Pudding
- Thai Peanut Curry Squash Soup
- Sesame Peanut Cucumber Noodle Salad
- Asian Roasted Vegetables
Thai Corn Fritters
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the corn, cilantro, green onion, egg, coconut milk, ginger, garlic chili paste, and curry paste. Stir just unitl combined.
- To the bowl, add the flour, salt, pepper, and baking powder. Stir to combine.
- Heat 1 tbsp of coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. once hot, ¼ cup of the corn mixture to the skillet, then flatten the top slightly to form a round circle that is about ½ inch thick.
- Allow the corn fritter to cook for about 2 minutes, or until the underside is golden brown, then flip and cook for an additional 2 minutes on the other side. (tip – Use a thin spatula, such as a fish spatula, to flip the corn friters. If they are falling apart when you try to flip them, then they aren't quite ready to flip.)
- Repeat with the remaining corn mixture, adding additional coconut oil to the pan as neded.
- Serve immediately with optional dipping sauce.