This Keto Mexican Street Corn Salad uses a few simple swaps to deliver all the flavors of street corn without the carbs. It's jam-packed with flavor and goes really well with most Mexican food as well as all the typical cookout fare.
This Mom's Menu is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links but all opinions are my own. I may earn money from purchases made through the links shared here (at no additional cost to you)
Mexican street corn is one of my favorite summertime side dishes. I have missed it SO much that I had to come up with a low carb version. The result is seriously delicious!
How do you make a corn dish keto?
The answer may surprise you because it sure did me! The trick to making a street corn salad without the typical corn is canned baby corn, like the kind you see in Chinese takeout. It is surprisingly low in carbs with only 3g carbs and 2g of fiber (1 net carb!) per 3oz serving!
Besides the baby corn, I also add in some chopped zucchini and summer squash to make it a little lighter and to prevent too much of the 'canned' taste from the corn from seeping in. The result is super delicious!
Tips and Ingredient Substitutions:
- Be sure to thoroughly rinse the corn before chopping. This helps to remove any lingering metallic taste from the can.
- The recipe calls for some traditional Mexican ingredients: Cotija cheese and Mexican Crema. These are pretty widely available, but if you can't find them you can sub feta or parmesan cheese for the Cotija and sour cream for the crema.
- I used to recommend heating the squash and zucchini to soften it a bit before mixing it with the other ingredients, but I have found that I actually prefer it left raw. If you want to soften it, just toss it in a skillet with a bit of oil until it's softened to your liking.
- Feel free to sub the zucchini with yellow squash or vice versa.
- The chili lime seasoning is an absolute must. Otherwise, the recipe will be super bland. Tajin is my favorite, but Trader Joes also has a chili lime seasoning.
- This salad will keep well for about 2 days in the fridge. After that, it will begin to get a bit liquidy. If you want to make it in advance, I recommend preparing the vegetable and the dressing separately and waiting to combine until just before serving.
Be sure to check out these other great recipes:
- Chicken Taco Soup | Keto, Instant Pot
- Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette
- Tres Leches | Keto, Gluten Free
- Homemade Taco Seasoning
Mexican Street Corn Salad | Keto
- 30 oz Canned Baby Corn
- 1 medium zucchini about 1 cup
- 1 medium yellow squash about 1 cup
- Salt and pepper
- ⅓ cup Mayonnaise
- ¼ cup Mexican Crema (or sour cream)
- ½ tablespoon lime juice
- ½ cup cotija cheese plus additional for serving
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon chili and lime seasoning (I use tajin) plus additional for serving
- lime wedges for serving optional
- Empty the cans of baby corn into a colander and rinse thoroughly.
- Chop the zucchini, yellow squash and baby corm into small cubes (about the size of a corn kernel) and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, creama, lime juice, cotija, cilantro, chili powder, and chiili lime seasoning.
- Transfer the corn, zucchini and squash to a large bowl and top with the mayo mixture. Stir to combine.
- Serve sprinkled with additional chili lime seasoning, cotija cheese, and cilantro as well as a lime wedge if desired.
The nutrition information listed here is only an estimate and is simply provided as a courtesy. It nor any other information within this post should constitute medical or nutritional advice. Be sure to read all packaging and ingredient labels for potential allergens.