This Creamy Chicken Taco Soup is a quick and easy low carb dish that the entire family will love! It only takes a few minutes of hands-on time and can be made in an instant pot or slow cooker!
This Mom's Menu is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links but all opinions are my own. I may earn money from purchases made through the links shared here (at no additional cost to you)
Ok -picture this ... you get home after a long day. It's about 5:30 pm. Your kids are hungry. You are exhausted. You realize that you forgot to defrost the meat you were going to cook for supper. You check the fridge hoping that there are enough leftovers for you to piece together a meal, but nope -nada. You pick up the phone and ring up the pizza place down the street. It's pizza night kids!
I think that we have all been there. It sucks, but it's happened to me WAY more times then I would like to admit. I seriously found a solution that has saved my sanity so many times now. It's seriously become my kitchen BFF.
Now, erase that last part about it being pizza night #sorrynotsorry kids! Imagine this instead - you bust out your instant pot, toss in the FROZEN chicken breast, along with a few other staple ingredients, press a few buttons - then sit down and relax for the next 40 minutes or so, while your instant pot works it's magic. You and your family sit down and enjoy a supper that practically cooked itself. As a matter of fact, your family is SO impressed with this meal, that later that night, they volunteer to clean the house while you take a nice bubble bath.
Maybe that last bit was a stretch, but you get it right?
Tools you'll need ...
If you haven't jumped onto the INSTANT POT bandwagon yet, what the heck are you waiting for? There is a little bit of a learning curve, but once you get it, you will be inseparable, I promise.
... And for those of you who are sadly, still without an instant pot, Don't worry, this soup can be made in the slow cooker as well! By the way, did you know that the instant pot actually has a slow cooker feature as well? Just sayin'
- Chicken Breast - You can use chicken thighs or even some ground beef if chicken breast isn't your thing.
- Ro-Tel - If you don't have Ro-Tel or don't like it you can substitute salsa or a small can of diced tomatoes and a small can of diced green chilis
- Cream cheese - You can also use reduced fat cream cheese or some heavy cream in a pinch
- Optional add-ins - If you aren't counting carbs feel free to toss in some black beans, corn or rice.
Be sure to check out these other great recipes:
- Instant Pot Mongolian Beef | Keto, Gluten Free
- Chicken Broccoli Alfredo Soup | Slow Cooker
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheesecake | Keto, Instant Pot
Chicken Taco Soup: Instant Pot | Low Carb
For the instant pot:
- Place the broth, chicken breast, ro-tel, and the taco seasoning into the instant pot.
- Close the lid, and set the vent to "sealing"
- Select manual and then use the + or - buttons to adjust the time to 14 minutes (24 if you are cooking chicken breasts from frozen)
- When it's finished cooking, allow your pot to naturally release pressure. When the silver pin drops, open the lid and shred the chicken using 2 forks.
- Add the cream cheese to the pot, and stir until it has melted into the soup.
- Serve the soup topped with cheddar cheese, cilantro, and sour cream if desired.
For the slow cooker:
- Place the broth, chicken breast, ro-tel and the taco seasoning (you can find my taco seasoning recipe HERE) in the bottom of the slow cooker. Cover.
- Cook on low for 4-5 hours, or high for 2-3 hours. (For Frozen Chicken, cook on low for 6-7 hours or high for 4-5 hours.)
- When it's finished cooking, shred the chicken with 2 forks, Then follow the last 2 steps above for adding the cream cheese and toppings.
The nutrition information listed here is only an estimate and is simply provided as a courtesy. It nor any other information within this post should constitute medical or nutritional advice. Be sure to read all packaging and ingredient labels for potential allergens.