Ok -picture this … you get home after a long day. It’s about 5:30pm. Your kids are hungry. You are exhausted. You realize that you forgot to defrost the meat you were going to cook for supper. You check the fridge hoping that there are enough leftovers for you to piece together a meal, but nope -nada. You pick up the phone and ring up the pizza place down the street. It’s pizza night kids!
I think that we have all been there. It sucks, but it’s happened to me WAY more times then I would like to admit. I seriously found a solution that has saved my sanity so many times now. It’s seriously become my kitchen BFF.
Now, erase that last part about it being pizza night (#sorrynotsorry kids 🙂 ). Imagine this instead – you bust out your instant pot, toss in the FROZEN chicken breast, along with a few other staple ingredients, press a few buttons – then sit down and relax for the next 40 minutes or so, while your instant pot works it’s magic. You and your family sit down and enjoy a supper that practically cooked itself. As a matter of fact, your family is SO impressed with this meal, that later that night, they volunteer to clean the house while you take a nice bubble bath.
Maybe that last bit was a stretch, but you get it right?
If you haven’t jumped onto the INSTANT POT bandwagon yet, what the heck are you waiting for? There is a little bit of a learning curve, but once you get it, you will be inseparable, I promise.
This recipe for Creamy Chicken Taco Soup is one that every family should have. It is SO versatile, and pleases pretty much everyone.
If you are sticking to a low carb diet, you can eat the recipe as it is, but if not – feel free to add beans, corn or rice.
… And for those of you who are sadly, still without an instant pot, Don’t worry, this soup can be made in the slow cooker as well! By the way, did you know that the instant pot actually has a slow cooker feature as well? Just sayin’
Chicken Taco Soup: Instant Pot | Low Carb
For the instant pot:
- Place the broth, chicken breast, ro-tel and the taco seasoning (you can find my taco seasoning recipe HERE) in the instant pot liner.
- Close the lid, and set the vent to "sealing"
- Select manual and then use the + or - buttons to adjust the time to 12 minutes (24 if you are cooking chicken breasts from frozen)
- When it's finished cooking, allow your pot to naturally release pressure. When the silver pin drops, open the lid and shred the chicken using 2 forks.
- At this point you can drop the room temp cream cheese into the soup - but you ruin the risk of it breaking. (Aka getting a little grainy and loosing it's creaminess) If it breaks, it will still taste fine, but won't be quite the same. To prevent this, place the cream cheese in a bowl, add in about 1 cup of the warm broth from the soup. Stir it's well combined and the cream cheese is melted - then pour it in with the rest of the soup.
- Serve it topped with cheddar cheese and sour cream
For the slow cooker:
- Place the broth, chicken breast, ro-tel and the taco seasoning (you can find my taco seasoning recipe HERE) in the bottom of the slow cooker. Cover.
- Cook on low for 4-5 hours, or high for 2-3 hours. (For Frozen Chicken, cook on low for 6-7 hours or high for 4-5 hours.)
- When it's finished cooking, shred the chicken with 2 forks, Then follow the last 2 steps above for adding the cream cheese and toppings.
*This post be sponsored or contain affiliate links, but all opinions are my own. I may earn money from purchases made from the links I shared here (at no additional cost to you) This helps to support the site and keeps the content free. Thank you for your support!