This recipe for Spaghetti Squash Chow Main is one of my favorites, and almost the only way that I like to eat spaghetti squash. The flavor of the sauce goes great with the natural sweetness of the squash. Try it today for a delicious meal!
I may be in the minority here, but I don’t usually like spaghetti squash. Or at least I thought I didn’t like it.
In the past I’d always eaten it topped with my favorite Italian pasta sauces. Things like marinara or Alfredo. These flavors with the sweet spaghetti squash just didn’t work for me.
I had all but written it off, when I saw a recipe for chow mien that I was pretty sure I could easily adapt. At the time, I was doing the 21 day fix, so when I decided to make it keto, I once again had to rework the recipe.
Side note: before I had this blog, I actually shared recipes on my Facebook page. You can check out the original 21 Day Fix version of this recipe HERE. While you are there, be sure to like and follow my page!
One of the things I LOVE about this Spaghetti Squash Chow Mein recipe is how easy it is to adapt to most dietary preferences.
It is already gluten and dairy free (for gluten free, be sure to check the label on each individual ingredient. It also can easily be made paleo and whole 30 compliant by swapping the soy sauce for coconut aminos and nixing the stevia for whole 30.
To make this super easy and fast, check out THIS post for instructions for preparing your spaghetti squash in an instant pot. You can even prep the squash ahead of time, storing it in the fridge until you are ready to make this recipe.
This chow mein also makes an incredible recipe for your weekly meal prep, because the leftovers keep and reheat well in the microwave.
I opted to use chicken thighs because they are easy and as I mentioned before, they reheat really well. You could also substitute pork loin, pork belly or chicken breast for an awesome result as well.
Spaghetti Squash Chow Mein | Keto, Paleo
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground mustard powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp coconut oil divided
- 1/4 cup Soy Sauce or coconut aminos
- 10-15 drops liquid stevia or to taste (exclude this for whole 30)
- 2 tsp ginger peeled and grated
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 of a white onion minced
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 2 cups bagged cole slaw mix
- 1 large spaghetti squash (about 5-6 cups) cooked and seeds and skin removed
- In a small bowl, combine the garlic powder, onion powder, ground ginger, and ground mustard.
- Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper, then sprinkle with the mix of seasonings from the previous step.
- Heat 1/2 tbsp of coconut oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the chicken thighs and cook for 8 minutes, then flip and cook another 8-10 minutes or until chicken has fully cooked to an internal temp of 170 degrees F.
- While the chicken is cooking, combine the soy sauce, stevia, fresh ginger, and white pepper in a small bowl, mixing well.
- Heat the remaining coconut oil over medium heat, in a large skillet. Add the onion, celery, and minced garlic. Cook, stirring often, until onion are translucent and celery has softened.
- Add the cole slaw mix, spaghetti squash and the soy sauce mixture to the skillet with onions and garlic. Mix well and cook for about 5-8 minutes or until the cabbage has just begun to soften.
- Serve the spaghetti squash, topped with 1 of the cooked sliced chicken thighs on top.