This baked chicken Alfredo casserole is made with chicken, a delicious and creamy parmesan cheese sauce, and your choice of low-carb pasta or even broccoli for a delicious meal that the entire family will love!
This Mom's Menu is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links but all opinions are my own. I may earn money from purchases made through the links shared here (at no additional cost to you)
Chicken Alfredo is definitely in my top 10 of the best comfort foods. I think of it like grown-up mac and cheese, which basically means that I don't feel guilty about sneaking it into my meal rotation.
Regular alfredo is great, but this casserole makes this a great meal prep dish and also a great recipe to take to potlucks!
How can I make this Chicken Alfredo Casserole Low Carb?
One of the best things about this recipe is just how easy it is to make it low carb! Alfredo sauce and chicken have almost no carbs whatsoever, so it is simply a matter of swapping out traditional pasta for a lower-carb alternative
You can sub all or just some of the pasta with steamed broccoli, cooked spaghetti squash, or shiritaki pasta! Wondering how to make shiritaki pasta actually taste good? Check out this post for a low-carb Asian noodle bowl where I give you all my best tips!
My go-to pasta sub is the Low Carb Pasta from The Great Low Carb Bread Company. It has a taste and texture that is the most comparable to traditional pasta of anything that I've found on the market. Plus it is SO easy to prepare.
Great low carb pasta is NOT gluten free, so if that is an issue for you, then you will need to stick with one of the other suggestions.
What can you add to alfredo to make it even better?
Alfredo is pretty great as it is, but if you want to change it the possibilities are almost endless.
- Fresh chopped basil or a few tablespoons of pesto
- Chopped sundried tomatoes
- Chopped spinach (if you use frozen, be sure to thaw and squeeze out all of the excess liquid)
- Cajun seasoning
- Ranch seasoning
- Anchovy paste (just a smidge)
- Carmelized shallots
- Roasted bell peppers
You can also combine many of the suggestions above to change things even more. Let me know if there are any other combos I should add to the list!
Can you use milk instead of cream in alfredo?
Yes, you can sub some or all of the heavy cream with milk just be aware that using milk will make for a thinner and less rich sauce. To make up for this you can use a little bit of extra parmesan and/or cream cheese.
In addition to subbing the cream for milk, you can also use your favorite unsweetened milk substitutes (like soy, cashew, almond, or oat) or half and half.
What goes well with chicken Alfredo?
Since this chicken alfredo casserole is on the heavy side, I like to pair it with a nice simple salad with a light vinaigrette. Don't worry, if salad isn't your thing broccoli or asparagus are also great options.
If you want to make this casserole a meal in one, you can even add some steamed broccoli or spinach before baking.
How do I store and reheat leftovers?
Leftovers will keep in the fridge for about 5 days and can be reheated in the microwave or in a 350-degree oven for 15-20 minutes. I recommend the oven for the best (and most tasty results.
Like this low carb chicken alfredo casserole? Be sure to check out these other great recipes from This Mom's Menu:
- Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo Soup (Keto)
- Loaded Cauliflower Casserole with Chicken (Keto)
- Keto Poppyseed Chicken Casserole
- Low Carb Chicken Parmesean Casserole
- Chicken Pesto Lasagna with Zucchini Noodles
- Cajun Chicken Pasta (Low Carb)
- Kentucky Hot Brown Casserole (Keto, Low Carb)
Baked Chicken Alfredo Casserole (with low carb option!)
- 8 oz Penne Pasta cooked according to package instructions OR sub with 6 cups of steamed broccoli florets.
- 4 cups Chicken Breast Cooked and diced
- 2 tablespoon Butter
- 1 ½ tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 1 ½ cups Heavy Cream
- 2 oz Cream Cheese
- ¾ cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 cups Mozzarella Cheese Shredded
- 1 tablespoon Parsley chopped, optional
- Preheat your oven to 375° F and grease a 9x13 inch baking pan with non-stick spray.
- Melt the butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly until fragrant (about 30 seconds)
- Add the heavy cream and cream cheese. Cook, stirring frequently until the cream cheese has melted and the cream is hot, but not boiling.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese and ½ cup of the mozzarella cheese. Continue stirring until all the cheese has completely melted. Continue cooking over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir the cooked pasta and chicken in with the sauce, then transfer to the baking sheet. Top with the remaining 1 ½ cups of mozzarella cheese and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the cheese has started to brown.
- Top with the chopped parsley if desired and enjoy!
The nutrition information listed here is only an estimate and is simply provided as a courtesy. It nor any other information within this post should constitute medical or nutritional advice. Be sure to read all packaging and ingredient labels for potential allergens. Optional ingredients are not included unless otherwise specified.