Try this recipe recipe for Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Casserole with Pork Chops for a low carb twist on a classic comfort food and a meal that your entire family will love!
With my kids back in school, I have been on the hunt for some easy weeknight meals and I’ve found myself missing so many of my old go-to recipes. Most of them are pasta and/or potato based, making them way to carb heavy for me now.
The inspiration for this recipe comes from Brandie over at The Country Cook. Her blog was my go-to place for recipes back in my pre-keto days. Her recipes are all simple comfort food, which in my opinion, is usually the best kind of food.
I decided that I had to give one of our favorites, Hash Brown Pork Chop Casserole, a low carb makeover. It was a little tricky, but after I got it, I really got it and it’s everything I was hoping it would be!
Making the classic Keto friendly
I opted to substitute spaghetti squash for the shredded hash browns, since they have a similar texture and taste. Outside of a handful of recipes, I usually don’t like spaghetti squash at all. But it totally works in this recipe!
When making the squash, you will want to squeeze out as much excess water as possible, or else your casserole will be too watery. To save time, you can even prepare the squash ahead of time!
The only other ingredient that I had to substitute was the cream of chicken soup. To do this, I just mixed some heavy cream with chicken stock concentrate. It worked perfectly!
If pork isn’t your thing, you could use thinly sliced chicken cutlets or chicken thighs, but I think that this is best with pork chops!
I opted to use cheddar cheese to keep it as close to the original casserole as possible, but you can play around with the cheeses if there is something that you think you would like better.
As I mentioned above, I opted to use chicken broth concentrate mixed with some heavy cream in place of the cream of chicken soup. I have linked below to the one I use, but if you don’t have any you can substitute chicken bullion granules.
If you are short on time, you can prepare the bottom of the casserole (everything but the pork chops) up to several days ahead of time and just keep it in the fridge until you are ready to cook it.
Also, be sure to check out my post on cooking spaghetti squash in the instant pot to save even more time!
Be sure to check out these other great recipes from This Mom’s Menu:
Did you make this recipe?
Don’t forget to rate and review it below! Also, be sure to tag @thismomsmenu and hashtag it #thismomsmenu on Instagram!
Cheesy Spaghetti Squash and Pork Chop Casserole | Keto
- 2 lb Pork Chops (about 8 chops) Boneless or bone-in will both work fine
- 1/2 tbsp cooking oil (I use avocado)
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 5 cups cooked spaghetti squash (1 large squash)
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tsp chicken broth concentrate, or 1 tsp of chicken bullion granules
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and grease a 9×13″ pan.
- Season both sides of the pork chops with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pork chops and brown on both sides, just cooking for a few minutes on each side. Don’t cook them completely as they will finish cooking in the oven.
- Place the cooked spaghetti squash in the center of a clean kitchen towel or cheesecloth. Wrap it up and squeeze out some of the excess liquid. You don’t have to squeeze it all out, but try to get as much as you can.
- In a large bowl, combine the spaghetti squash, heavy cream, chicken broth concentrate, sour cream, onion powder, and 1 1/2 cups of cheddar cheese. Stir to combine.
- Transfer the spaghetti squash mixture to the greased baking dish. Top with the remaining cheese, then arrange the pork chops on top of that.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until the pork chops are cooked through.
- Allow the dish to cool for 10 minutes before serving.