The Mint Julep has been the traditional beverage of the Kentucky Derby and Churchill Downs for almost a century. You can join in the festivities completely guilt-free with this Mint Julep recipe. It’s completely sugar free, has only about 100 calories and zero carbs!
This Mom’s Menu is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links but all opinions are my own. I may earn money from purchases made through the links shared here (at no additional cost to you)
Traditional Mint Juleps are made from muddling simple syrup with fresh mint leaves then topping with a generous serving of bourbon and a splash of water.
Love them or hate them – it’s just not Derby until you’ve had one.
This sugar-free version swaps the simple syrup and water with Sprite zero. The flavor is very similar and I love the addition of the carbonation from the sprite.
If you are looking for more low carb Derby Themed Recipes, then be sure to check these out:
- Bourbon Balls | Keto
- Low Carb Hot Brown Casserole
- Hot Brown Pizza
- Kentucky Burgoo | Slow Cooker
- Louisville Benedictine Dip
Mint Julep | Sugar Free
- 5 fresh mint leaves
- 1 oz bourbon
- 5 oz sprite zero, or any other sugar free lemon lime soda
- mint sprigs for garnish
- Muddle the mint leaves and a splash of the sprite in the bottom of a glass or cocktail shaker.
- Add the remaining sprite, and bourbon. Stir then strain into a Julep or highball glass over ice.
- Garnish with a sprig of fresh mint and enjoy!