A Kentucky Favorite, Burgoo is a thick stew that is slow cooked to perfection. With a few simple swaps, this recipe is a low carb twist on the classic.
This Mom’s Menu is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links but all opinions are my own. I may earn money from purchases made through the links shared here (at no additional cost to you)
It’s pretty likely that the majority of you reading this have never heard of Burgoo. It’s regional to the Kentucky area and was typically made for large outdoor gatherings. It was (and often still is) served at political events and horse races across the state.
It was almost always cooked over a fire and always contains at least three different kinds of meat. Since the meat was stewed for so long, it was a great way to use up less ideal game meat and for that reason, it got a bit of a questionable reputation.
While it’s no longer commonly made with game meat, it’s still a great way to use cheaper cuts of meat along with anything that you just need to use up.
The non-meat ingredients in a typical burgoo usually
Ingredients and Substitutions
As I mentioned above, their really are no rules here! Feel free to substitute the meats with anything you like. You can be as adventurous as you would like.
For the vegetables, I tried to stay as true to a classic Burgoo as I could while still keeping it low carb. I opted to use carrots, okra, and turnips. The turnips are a great stand-in for the potatoes and many burgoo recipes call for them as well.
Burgoo must be cooked low and slow. I use a slow cooker, which does a perfect job and also limits the amount of hands-on time needed, but you could also cook this in a dutch oven on the stove-top.
Be sure to check out these other great recipes:
- Beef Bourguignon | Keto, Slow Cooker
- Chicken Mulligatawny Soup | Keto, Instant Pot
- Kentucky Hot Brown Casserole | Keto
Kentucky Burgoo | Low Carb, Slow Cooker
- 2 lb Beef Roast
- 2 lb Chicken, Boneless Skinless Breasts or thighs work well
- 2 lb Pork Roast
- 3 cups Beef Broth
- 2 cups Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Onion diced
- 2 Celery Stalks Chopped
- 2 tsp Liquid Smoke
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 cups Turnip peeled and cubed
- 1 cup Carrot peeled and chopped
- 1 cup Okra Sliced (fresh or frozen)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Add all of the ingredients to a large slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 hours. Throughout the cooking process periodically stir the burgoo in order to begin breaking the meat apart. When the cooking process is completed, use two forks to shred any large pieces of meat that remain.