With this low carb Hurricane, you don’t have to make the choice between joining in the carnival festivities and sticking to your keto diet. It’s super easy to mix one up – but be careful, they pack a powerful punch!
This Mom’s Menu is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links but all opinions are my own. I may earn money from purchases made through the links shared here (at no additional cost to you)
It’s exactly one week until Mardi Gras and I am having some serious FOMO. No city in the world puts on a party like New Orleans and Mardi Gras is the pièce de résistance.
A big part of the celebrations in New Orleans revolves around the Hurricane. It’s a dangerously delicious cocktail and you can bet that as you are reading this, plenty
In case you haven’t had the pleasure of drinking a hurricane in the French quarter, let me fill you in. They are a blend of 2 to 3 varieties of rum. Most use light and dark rum, while some add in a shot of 151 proof rum for good measure. It is called a hurricane after all!
The rum is mixed with passion fruit juice, orange juice, lime juice and sometimes a little grenadine. Its served over ice and topped with a cherry and orange slice. And in case I forgot to mention it – it’s delicious.
You can read more about the history of the Hurricane and find the original recipe HERE.
- Rum – I stick with Bacardi and Bacardi gold. You can use any brand you like, but these are my favorite. You could also just use one variety of rum if you would rather do that. And, if you are a real glutton for punishment, feel free to float an ounce or so of 151 proof rum on top of your hurricane (at your own risk mind you!)
- Passion Fruit Zero-Calorie Water Enhancer Drops – I wasn’t able to find a drink mix that was only passion fruit flavored so I used Crystal Light Mango Passionfruit Drops, and they worked really well. Dasani also makes an orange passion fruit mix that would likely work well also. In a pinch, you could probably get away with using a tropical or fruit punch variety as well.
- Orange juice – to keep this low carb you will want to use a reduced sugar OJ – I used Trop50 which is absolutely delicious and has only 13g of carbs per cup, compared to 26g in traditional orange juice. Trop50 is widely available and many grocery stores even carry a generic version. You can use regular OJ, but be aware that this will substantially increase the carbs.
- Lime Juice – Fresh is best, but you could also get away with bottled lime juice. You can skip this, but I think it adds a great flavor.
- Cherry Zero-Calorie Water Enhancer Drops – This is to take the place of the grenadine. It isn’t as necessary to the drink, so if you have to skip something – skip this one 🙂
Want to make it without alcohol?
If you don’t drink, or if you want to make this for kids simply leave out the rum and replace with 4 ounces of regular or sparkling water.
Be sure to check out these other great recipes from This Mom’s Menu:
Low Carb Hurricane
- Place a few drops of cherry water enhancer into a large hurricane glass, or other tall glass. Then, fill with ice, but don’t mix.
- Combine all the remaining ingredients except for the garnish, into a cocktail shaker with ice. Secure the lid and shake to combine. Then strain the contents (minus the ice) into the hurricane glass.
- Garnish with an orange slice and fresh cherry if desired and enjoy!