This recipe for Keto Sausage and Wild Cauliflower Rice Casserole is great served anytime of the day and for just about any occasion. It’s sure to please even the pickiest of eaters!
This Mom’s Menu is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links but all opinions are my own. I may earn money from purchases made through the links shared here (at no additional cost to you)
When I was a kid one of my favorite holiday memories was eating a big family breakfast at my Aunt’s house. All of my cousins were there and it gave us a chance to show off our Christmas loot before we lost all the pieces 🙂
One of the staples of this breakfast was my aunt’s sausage and wild rice casserole. It was absolutely delicious and a great savory dish for a usually sweet meal.
Traditionally this casserole is made with Uncle Ben’s wild rice and cream of mushroom soup, evaporated milk, breakfast sausage, and water chestnuts. The only ingredients that I needed to swap were the rice, mushroom soup, and evaporated milk.
Now with a family of my own, this casserole is still part of my holiday tradition. But, I’ve also added it to my dinner repertoire and it works really well!
While you can certainly leave out the mushrooms, they definitely add a lot of flavor. I have a family of mushroom haters, so I simply pulse them in a blender or food processor a few times to make them really small and no one in my family even knows they are there.
The water chestnuts and hemp hearts add a lot of texture to this overall dish, but if you don’t like them you can leave them out or swap either of them with a handful of slivered almonds.
Chicken broth concentrate is an excellent way to add a ton of flavor without adding excess liquid. Chicken bullion granules or chicken base would also work well, but due to the higher sodium, you may want to add a bit less.
Tips for making this Keto Casserole:
This casserole can easily be assembled ahead of time and refrigerated or frozen for later.
To cook from frozen, my preference is to allow it to thaw at least partially before baking, then just bake at 350 degrees F until it is heated through.
Leftovers will keep in a sealed container in the fridge for about 5 days, making this recipe great for meal prep!
Be sure to check out these other great recipes:
- Cauliflower Rice Pilaf
- Keto Eggs Benedict Casserole with Easy Hollandaise Sauce
- Keto Breakfast Casserole
- Cheesy Chicken, Broccoli, and ‘Rice’ Casserole | Keto, Gluten Free
Keto Sausage and Wild Cauliflower Rice Casserole
- 1 lb Breakfast Sausage
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 cup Baby Bella Mushrooms finely chopped
- 8 oz Water Chestnuts Drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup Hemp Hearts
- 12 oz Cauliflower Rice I used frozen, but fresh will also work fine
- 1 tbsp Dried Parsley
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Thyme
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tbsp Dried Celery Flakes
- 1 tbsp Chicken Broth Concentrate
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9×13" baking dish *see note below. In a large skillet, cook and crumble the breakfast sausage. Then, drain the grease and set the sausage aside in a separate dish.
- Return the skillet to the stove over medium high heat. Add the butter. Once the butter has melted add the chopped mushrooms, water chestnuts, hemp hearts, and cauliflower rice.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until the mushrooms are softened and the cauliflower rice is heated through.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir in all of the spices and chicken broth concentrate.
- Return the cooked and crumbled sausage to the pan, then stir in the sour cream.
- Remove from the heat and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Transfer to the baking dish and cook uncovered in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until the top is slightly browned and crisp.