Enjoy this Chicken Adobo with some cauliflower rice for the perfect low carb, and Paleo friendly meal. Not only is it nutritious, but it's also completely kid friendly and budget friendly!
This Mom's Menu is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links but all opinions are my own. I may earn money from purchases made through the links shared here (at no additional cost to you)
Chicken legs are one of my family's favorite cuts of meat. They are easy for my kids to eat, they are cheap and they have great macros for a keto diet.
We usually eat them crisped up in the air fryer with salt and pepper, but sometimes that gets boring. In my search for keto (and kid) friendly recipes, I came across this recipe for Filipino Chicken Adobo from Taste of Home.
The recipe was already low carb, but I opted to make a few changes to suit my family's taste buds just a little bit more.
The result is so spectacularly delicious that I knew I had to share it with you!
The original recipe called for white vinegar, which you could certainly use in place of the apple cider vinegar I have listed in the recipe. I prefer the slightly sweet flavor that you get with the apple cider vinegar, but that is just a matter of personal preference.
I like to toss in a pinch of red pepper flakes with the marinade. This is just enough to add a hint of heat. You can adjust the quantity to suit your palate or just omit it completely. alternatively, you could also add some sriracha!
This recipe is great leftover, although if you are able, I recommend reheating in the oven or air fryer to prevent the skin from getting soggy.
Be sure to check out these other great recipes from This Mom's Menu:
- Healthy, Low Carb Filipino Pancit
- Korean Ground Beef | Keto, Paleo
- Spaghetti Squash Chow Mein | Keto, Whole 30
- Asian Noodle Bowl | Keto
Did you make this recipe?
Rate it in the comments below and tag @thismomsmenu on Instagram and hashtag it #thismomsmenu
Chicken Adobo | Keto, Paleo
- 1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- ½ cup soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 bulb of garlic peeled and smashed
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoon ginger peeled and grated
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 3 lbs chicken legs
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil, or other oil suitable for high heat
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoon Sesame Oil
- 2 teaspoon Sesame Seeds
- 2 green onions chopped
- Combine the first 7 ingredients in a large dish with a lid. (I used a 9x13 pyrex dish) Then add the chicken. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours, up to overnight.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. When the oil is hot, add the chicken to the pan (reserving the marinade) and brown it on all sides.
- Stir in water and reserved marinade and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until chicken is no longer pink and sauce is slightly reduced, 20-25 minutes.
- Serve the chicken topped with cooking sauce, sesame oil, sesame seeds and green onions.
The nutrition information listed here is only an estimate and is simply provided as a courtesy. It nor any other information within this post should constitute medical or nutritional advice. Be sure to read all packaging and ingredient labels for potential allergens.