These zucchini tots are a great and delicious way to get picky eaters to eat their vegetables. They have a mild flavor that makes them a great accompaniment to just about any meal!
This Mom's Menu is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links but all opinions are my own. I may earn money from purchases made through the links shared here (at no additional cost to you)
If you are responsible for feeding picky eaters, then you know the challenge is real. It can seem like every night you have to decide between a feeding your family a healthy meal or having a battle of wills with a child.
When I first tried these zucchini tots on the pickiest eaters in my family, I was pleasantly surprised that they were so well received. All of my kids enjoyed them and I knew I had a winner!
Tips for making these Zucchini Tots perfect for picky eaters:
- If your kids are freaked out by anything green. you can peel the zucchini before grating it.
- Be sure to squeeze out as much liquid from the zucchini as possible. The less liquid, the crispier the tots!
- I stick with the cheap, and super dry, parmesan cheese in the green container. Since it's so dry, it helps to hold the tots together without the use of any additional ingredients.
- Cheddar cheese is a pretty safe bet with my family, but feel free to swap it with any shredded cheese you like.
- I opted to keep the seasoning super basic with just salt and pepper. Feel free to add additional seasonings like garlic, Italian seasoning, ranch seasoning, or fresh herbs!
- I made each tot using about 1 tablespoon of the zucchini mixture and ended up with 6 tots per serving. This will vary some based on the size of your zucchini and how much water you are able to remove.
- The smaller the tots the crispier they will get.
- If you don't feel like forming the tots, you can bake them in a mini muffin pan instead.
Can these Zucchini tots be frozen?
YES!!! This might be the best thing about this recipe. With a few simple modifications to the cooking process, these tots are completely freezer friendly.
To freeze them, prepare according to the instructions right up until baking. Instead of following the recipe, you will reduce the baking time to about 5-10 minutes removing them from the oven before the tots have browned.
From this point, you will freeze them on the baking sheet in a single layer, then transfer the frozen tots to a freezer-safe container.
To bake from frozen, preheat the oven to 425 degrees f and bake for 20-25 minutes until they are heated through and golden brown.
Check out this board on Pinterest for more freezer friendly keto recipes!
Be sure to check out these other great recipes:
- Sheet Pan Loaded Cauliflower
- Keto Corn Pudding
- Slow Cooker Cauli Mac
- Cauliflower Rice Pilaf
- Low Carb Fried Okra
- The Best Mashed Cauliflower
- 3 Medium Zucchini Grated
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese Grated
- ¾ cup Cheddar Cheese Shredded
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl combine the grated zucchini and salt. Allow to sit for at least 5 minutes, or up to several hours.
- Preheat the oven to 425° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Place the zucchini in the center of a large, clean kitchen towel. Wrap the towel around the zucchini and squeeze it to remove the excess liquid. The more liquid you can remove, the better the tots will hold together.
- Once you have removed the excess liquid, return the zucchini to the bowl and combine with the eggs, cheeses, and additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Form the zucchini mixture into small cylinders, using about 1 tablespoon of the mixture per tot.
- Place the formed tots onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until the tots are golden brown.
- Allow them to cool slightly before removing from the baking sheet.
The nutrition information listed here is only an estimate and is simply provided as a courtesy. It nor any other information within this post should constitute medical or nutritional advice. Be sure to read all packaging and ingredient labels for potential allergens.