This upside down pizza casserole is the perfect family friendly keto dish! It's so easy to make and can even be prepped ahead of time for a quick weeknight supper!
This Mom's Menu is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links but all opinions are my own. I may earn money from purchases made through the links shared here (at no additional cost to you)
I love a recipe that makes my family ask "I thought you weren't eating carbs?" because they could never guess that what they are eating is actually low carb. This Upside Down Pizza Casserole does just that!
It has all the flavors that you crave in a good pizza with a fraction of the carbs. It comes together easily and can even be made ahead of time for a quick weeknight supper! Add in your favorite pizza toppings to customize it to your taste for the PERFECT low carb craving killer!
In my family, we take our pizza seriously. I am well known among my kids' friends, for my AMAZING homemade pizza and breadsticks. I make everything from scratch, and it's delicious if I do say so myself! Unfortunately, it is FAR from low carb, so it's now something I only make on special occasions.
When transitioning to keto, and especially when trying to get your family on board, I think it's much easier to stick to foods that your family is familiar with. And since everyone is familiar with pizza, this recipe will do just that!
- Ground Beef - Ground turkey or Italian sausage would work great in place of the ground beef.
- Low Carb Marinara - Really any marinara sauce will work, but if you are counting carbs I recommend my recipe for easy low carb marinara or Rao's Marinara sauce.
- Pizza Toppings - For this recipe, I just went with the classic pepperoni, but the sky is the limit here! If you like it on your pizza feel free to use it in this casserole!
- Almond Flour - I always get asked about substitutions for the almond flour . The crust recipe is essentially a fathead dough with some extra baking powder mixed in. You can substitute the crust recipe with any fathead dough that you like (including coconut versions).
Want to make it in advance?
This recipe makes a great freezer meal! To do this, simply prepare it up until the foil is removed at the end of baking.
Instead, you will remove it from the oven after the 30 minutes of baking, allow to cool and them tightly wrap with foil and/or plastic wrap and transfer to the fridge or freezer.
Ideally, you would want to thaw it at least halfway before baking it from this point. But if you don't have time just reduce the baking temp a bit and cook covered with foil for 45-60 minutes or until it is heated through.
Be sure to check out these other great recipes:
- Homemade Meatballs | Keto
- Easy Homemade Marinara Sauce | Low Carb
- Pizza Dip with Garlic Breadsticks | Keto
- Homemade Frozen Pizzas | Keto
- Low Carb Chicken Parmesan Casserole
Upside Down Pizza Casserole | Keto, Gluten Free
- 1 lb 80/20 ground beef
- 1 ¼ Cup Low Carb Marinara Sauce
- 1 Cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- pizza toppings of your choice
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cook the ground beef and drain the excess grease. Combine the cooked beef with the marinara sauce and spread into the bottom of a greased 7x11 casserole dish.
- Top the meat with about 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese, and your favorite pizza toppings.
- For the top "crust" layer, combine the mozzarella cheese with the cream cheese in a medium microwave safe bowl. Heat in the microwave on 30 second intervals until the 2 cheeses are melted and combine easily. Then, add in the almond meal, baking powder, garlic powder and egg.
- Spread this mixture on top of the cheese and toppings in your dish. I find it easiest to place the dough in even clumps on the top of the dish and them smoosh them together using my hands until the entire casserole is covered.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake for about 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake and additional 10 minutes, or until the top is browned.
- For the butter topping: Combine the melted butter with the garlic powder, onion powder and parsley and brush on top of the "crust."
The nutrition information listed here is only an estimate and is simply provided as a courtesy. It nor any other information within this post should constitute medical or nutritional advice. Be sure to read all packaging and ingredient labels for potential allergens.