These Keto Soft Pretzel Bites are so easy to make and they will go perfectly with your favorite cheese sauce or some yellow mustard! The taste and texture are so close to a traditional soft pretzel that you won't even know the difference!
This Mom's Menu is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links but all opinions are my own. I may earn money from purchases made through the links shared here (at no additional cost to you)
Soft pretzels with cheese sauce are my stadium food of choice. They are the perfect salty snack if you ask me.
To me, a soft pretzel should be chewy, have a delicious yeasty flavor, and have just the right balance of salt with a tiny hint of sweetness in the dough.
I have tried several other keto soft pretzels and while they are all fine, none of them really hit all the bases for me. I took all the best parts of the recipes that I have tried and mashed them up to make the best keto soft pretzel bites that you will ever eat.
Tips for making the best Keto Soft Pretzels
This recipe is pretty straight forward, but there are a few things to keep in mind when you are making these pretzel bites.
First, be sure to use low-moisture, part-skim mozzarella. Most bags of pre-shredded mozzarella cheese will fit the bill, just be sure to double-check. Too much moisture or fat in the dough will cause these pretzels to lose their chewy texture.
The yeast is added only for flavor. It doesn't matter if the yeast is regular or quick-rising, and you don't have to worry about letting the dough rise.
You can use any sweetener that you like. I used Lakanto Golden which has a nice caramel-like flavor. The sweetness is super subtle but does make a difference in the flavor of the pretzels.
Right now you can get 10% off of all Lakanto products with the code "THISMOMSMENU" when you order from the Lakanto Website!
If you decide to go with a different sweetener, then be sure to check out this conversion chart to make sure that you are substituting with the proper amount.
What is the best salt to use for Pretzels?
The type of salt you use for these pretzels makes a HUGE difference in the end result. I can't recommend ordering some pretzel salt enough. There is a reason it's a thing and it just totally takes these pretzels over the edge.
Pretzel salt is actually just regular salt that has been pressed into large granules. As you chew the granules fall apart and are evenly dispersed in your mouth.
Unfortunately, it can be hard to find pretzel salt in most traditional grocery stores, so if you want to make these pretzels without waiting for an Amazon delivery, just stick with any course salt and you will be fine. Just be sure to order that pretzel salt for the next time 😉
What else can I top them with?
If salted pretzels aren't your thing, or you just want to change things up a bit here are a few ideas:
- Cinnamon Sugar - Bake as directed (minus the salt). When the pretzels are done baking brush them with melted butter and sprinkle them with a mixture of sweetener and cinnamon. For a real treat, you can dip them into some keto cream cheese frosting!
- Garlic Parmesan - When pretzels are done baking, brush them with a mixture of garlic powder and melted butter. Then, top them with grated parmesan cheese.
- Everything Pretzels - Swap the salt for some everything but the bagel seasoning
Can I make these Pretzel Bites into regular full-size pretzels?
I don't recommend making these pretzel bites into traditionally shaped pretzels. The areas where the dough overlaps will be too dense for it to bake all the way through before the other areas of the pretzels burn.
If you want to make larger pretzels, I recommend sticking with pretzel sticks instead.
Be sure to check out these other great recipes:
- Beer Cheese Dip
- Keto Butter Crackers
- Low Carb Garlic Bread Pizza Dip
- Keto Bacon and Brown Sugar Little Smokies
- Keto Jalapeno Popper Bites
Keto Soft Pretzel Bites
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper
- Pastry Brush
- Electric Mixer
- Preheat the oven to 400° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a large bowl combine the mozzarella cheese and the cream cheese. Microwave the cheeses in 30-second intervals, stirring after each interval until the cheeses are melted and blend together easily.
- Add 1 egg (reserve the other for later), almond flour, yeast, sweetener, and baking powder. Mix all the ingredients together until well combined. I find it easiest to mix with an electric mixer.
- Divide the dough into four equal pieces. One at a time, roll the dough portions into about 13-14" long pieces Cut the rolled out piece into 1-1 ½" portions. Place the cut portions onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving about 1" between each piece. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Beat the remaining egg in a small bowl. Use a pastry brush to apply the beaten egg to the top of the pretzel pieces then sprinkle them with pretzel salt.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until they are golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow them to cool for 3-5 minutes before serving.
Be sure to read the entire post for tips, tricks, and help troubleshooting.
The nutrition information listed here is only an estimate and is simply provided as a courtesy. It nor any other information within this post should constitute medical or nutritional advice. Be sure to read all packaging and ingredient labels for potential allergens. Optional ingredients are not included unless otherwise specified.