This recipe for Scalloped Cabbage is a low carb twist on the classic southern side dish. It has deliciously tender cabbage, a creamy cheese sauce and a crispy topping that makes it irresistible!
This Mom's Menu is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links but all opinions are my own. I may earn money from purchases made through the links shared here (at no additional cost to you)
Scalloped cabbage is essentially scalloped potatoes – minus the potatoes and add the cabbage. If you’ve never had it before you may think that this sounds like a disaster – but you’re gonna have to believe me on this one. It’s absolutely amazing!
As a kid, it was the only way that I would eat cabbage and it’s still the only way my kids (and my husband for that matter) like it.
My grandma used to make it all the time and I was always happy to see it making it’s way around the dinner table.
I’m pretty certain that my grandma made her scalloped cabbage with Velveeta cheese. As a matter of fact, I’m pretty sure that is the only “cheese” that I remember my grandma ever using for anything.
Say what you want about it, but nothing melts or is as creamy as Velveeta. With this in mind I was a little worried that I wouldn’t be able to recreate this dish from my childhood without it. But I couldn’t be happier with the results!
Ingredients and substitutions
The ingredients for this recipe are very straightforward and I don’t recommend a lot of substitutions.
The sauce calls for some dried mustard, but you can substitute prepared mustard if you don’t have any.
For the crispy topping, I used my Keto Butter Crackers which I pretty much always have on hand. If you don’t have these and don’t want to make them, You can mix about 1/4 cup of almond flour with a tablespoon or so of melted butter and sprinkle this mixture over the dish in place of the crackers.
Be sure to check out these other great recipes from This Mom’s Menu:
Did you make this recipe?
Don’t forget to rate and review it below! Also, be sure to tag @thismomsmenu and hashtag it #thismomsmenu on Instagram!
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile cut the cabbage into quarters and remove the core. Add 1 tsp of salt to the boiling water, then carefully add the cabbage. Cook until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Drain the cabbage and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and grease a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish with butter or nonstick spray.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the almond milk, heavy cream and cream cheese. Stir frequently until the cream cheese is completely melted. Stir in cheddar cheese, and ground mustard.
- Stir constantly until the cheese is completely melted and the sauce is smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add 1/2 of the cabbage to the bottom of the prepared dish, then top with 1/2 of the cheese sauce. Repeat this process with the remaining cabbage and cheese sauce.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Remove from oven, take the foil off and top with crumbled butter crackers. Return to the oven, without the foil and bake an additional 10-15 minutes until the top is golden and the cheese is bubbly.