These carrots are roasted to perfection then coated with a delicious glaze made from butter, honey, and just a touch of cayenne. They are the perfect irresistible side dish for any meal!
This Mom's Menu is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links but all opinions are my own. I may earn money from purchases made through the links shared here (at no additional cost to you)
Roasted carrots are one of my absolute favorite vegetable side dishes. These carrots are great any time of year, but I really love them in the fall and winter.
This recipe was inspired by my sheet pan pork tenderloin and vegetables, and these carrots pair really well with marinated steak, blackened chicken tenders, or crispy chicken thighs just to name a few options.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Avocado Oil - any mild flavored oil suitable for high temperatures will work.
- Salt and Pepper
- Salted Butter or butter flavored coconut oil (affiliate) note: you can also replace the avocado oil with the butter flavored coconut oil as well!
- Ground Cayenne - You can leave this out or substitute it with a pinch of red pepper flakes or chili powder.
See the recipe card for quantities.
One of the best things about roasting carrots, or just about anything for that matter, is that once they are prepped the oven will do most of the work and you won't be stuck standing over a cooking pot.
To make these roasted and glazed carrots, start out by preheating the oven to 425 degrees and line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Parchment paper is optional, but makes clean-up SO easy and ensures that your carrots won't stick.
While you are waiting for the oven to preheat go ahead and wash, peel and slice your carrots. I like to slice mine into sticks about a half of an inch thick, and maybe 3 inches long but you can also slice them into rounds if you prefer.
The main thing is that you want them to all be roughly the same size so that they cook evenly.
Hint: If you are short on time, simply use ready-to-eat baby carrots. Just give them a rinse and dry them off before roasting them.
Next, toss the carrots in the avocado oil and season them all over with salt and pepper. Then, spread them out onto the prepared sheet pan and pop them into the oven for 20 minutes.
While the carrots are roasting, prepare the glaze by combining the melted butter with the honey and cayenne.
Hint: Combine the ingredients for the glaze in a measuring cup or another spouted dish for easy pouring in the next step!
After the carrots have roasted for 20 minutes, remove them from the oven and pour the glaze all over, and then gently toss them so they are fully coated.
Return the carrots to the oven and continue roasting them for 10-15 minutes or until they are done to your liking.
Allow them to cool for just a few minutes before serving.
- Low Carb/Sugar Free- Increase the butter to 3 tablespoons and substitute the honey for 3 tablespoons of Lakanto Golden (affiliate - Use "THISMOMSMENU" for 10% off!)
- Squash or Sweet Potatoes - Substitue peeled and cubed butternut squash or sweet potatoes for the carrots. For sweet potatoes, increase the initial roasting time to 35 minutes or unti they are fork tender.
- Vegan - Substitute the butter for butter flavored coconut oil (affiliate)
Store any leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat in the oven or microwave until heated through. Unfortunately, I do not suggest freezing these roasted carrots.
Frequently Asked Questions
Carrots are very dense and require an extended cooking time to soften so baking is much better. However, if you wish to brown them you can put them under the broiler for a few minutes until they are browned to your liking.
If you wish to prepare these carrots in advance you can cook them up until adding the glaze (step 5). Then allow them to cool and store in the fridge before proceeding with the instructions.
Save time by using baby ready-to-eat baby carrots. Simply give them a rinse and then pat them dry before cooking.
Roasted Carrots with Spicy Honey Glaze
- Vegetable Peeler
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Preheat your oven to 425° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- While the oven is preheating, wash and peel the carrots. Then, slice them into uniform sticks about ½ inch thick.2 lbs Carrots
- Toss the carrots in the avocado oil and season with salt and pepper. Place them on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven.2 tablespoon Avocado Oil, Salt and Pepper
- While the carrots are roasting, prepare the glaze by combining the butter with the honey and the cayenne.2 tablespoon Salted Butter, ¼ cup Honey, ¼ teaspoon Ground Cayenne
- After the carrots have roasted for 20 minutes, remove them from the oven (leave the oven on) and toss them with the glaze until they are fully coated. Then, return them to the oven for an additional 10-15 minutes or until the carrots are softened to your liking.
Be sure to read the entire post for tips, tricks, and help troubleshooting.
The nutrition information listed here is only an estimate and is simply provided as a courtesy. It nor any other information within this post should constitute medical or nutritional advice. Be sure to read all packaging and ingredient labels for potential allergens. Optional ingredients are not included unless otherwise specified.