If you close your eyes while eating these Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes, you might just begin to hear the sweet sounds of a ukulele playing in the background. Something about the flavor of sweet pineapple and cherries, makes me feel like I am sitting on a tropical beach somewhere, completely care free. It’s like a vacation all wrapped up in one little cake.
*This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links, but all opinions are my own. I may earn money from purchases made through the links shared here (at no additional cost to you). This helps to support the site and keeps the content free. Thank you for your support!!
I have to admit that I didn’t fully appreciate pineapple upside down cake until fairly recently. It’s not something that I grew up eating and I also hold the strong belief that dessert isn’t dessert unless there is chocolate involved!
For this cake however, I am willing to make an exception.
I wasn’t really sure how to make this cake low carb, since pineapple and cherries pack a pretty big carb punch from all the natural sugar. I found that by using fresh pineapple and subbing frozen cherries for the sugar laden maraschinos that are typically in a pineapple upside down cake, I was able to get a TON of flavor with far less carbs.
I opted to make these into cupcakes instead of a traditional full size cake. This makes sticking to one serving SO much easier but you could easily bake this in a 9″ cake pan if you would rather have a traditional cake.
I also used sukrin gold, which is an erythritol and stevia based brown sugar substitute. This is a little on the pricey side, so you *could* replace the sukrin gold with regular erythritol in this recipe or vice versa. Just recognize that it won’t have quite the richness that it would have if you followed the recipe as described.
The recipe also calls for vanilla whey protein powder. You will want to stick to a variety with as little carbs as possible. here are some good options:
If you like this, then be sure to check out our other recipes:
- Banana Bread Bottom Cheesecake | Keto
- Keto Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Keto Cinnamon Swirl Bread
If you try this recipe, be sure to leave a review in the comments, I LOVE getting your feedback 🙂
Pineapple Upside-Down Cupcakes | Keto
- 1 Cup fresh or frozen pineapple (no added sugar)
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened divided
- 1/4 cup, plus 3 tbsp Sukrin Gold brown sugar substitute (you can sub erythritol)
- 12 whole, pitted cherries (fresh or frozen) Thawed
- 1 1/4 cups superfine almond flour
- 1/4 cup vanilla whey protein (see recommendations above)
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 cup granular erythritol
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Begin by placing the pineapple, along with 4 tbsp of butter and 3 tbsp of sukrin gold into a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a low boil, then cover and reduce to a simmer, stirring frequently. Continue allowing this mixture to simmer while you prepare the cake.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F and prepare a 12 cup muffin pan with non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the almond flour, whey protein, salt and baking powder, stirring to combine. Set the mixture aside
- In a separate medium bowl, combine the butter, vanilla, erythritol and sukrin gold. Beat with a hand mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and whipping cream and beat again until well integrated.
- Working in batches, add the dry ingredients in with the wet, mixing after each addition until you have a smooth, creamy batter.
- Remove the butter and pineapple mixture from the heat, and using a potato masher, mash up the pineapple.
- Place one cherry into the bottom of each muffin cup, Then evenly distribute the pineapple mixture between all the muffin cups. (about 1/2-1 tbsp of pineapple per cup)
- Top this with the cake batter, being careful not to overfill. (I used about 1/4 cup of batter per cupcake.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow them to cool for at least 15 minutes before removing from the muffin pan.