This delicious buttery cake is the perfect simple dessert. Old fashioned sour cream pound cake can be enjoyed topped with your favorite fruit and whipped cream or all on its own.
This Mom's Menu is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links but all opinions are my own. I may earn money from purchases made through the links shared here (at no additional cost to you)
Pound cake is the perfect cake recipe to have up your sleeve. It is great for a multitute of occasions and thanks to it's simple and rustic nature, it is very forgiving which is great for novice bakers.
This old fashioned pound cake is practically begging to be topped with fresh whipped cream and fruit but it's also great all on its own. If you are looking for another classic southern cake then be sure to check out my red velvet bundt cake!
Ingredients and Substitutions
You won't find anything surprising here! This cake is nothing but classic ingredients and simple flavors. Due to the precise nature there aren't too many substitutions that I recommend but I have listed some that will work.
- Sugar or a sugar substitute that swaps 1:1 for granulated sugar
- Vanilla Extract - In addition to vanilla extract you can also add other flavor extracts. Some of my favorite are coconut extract or almond extract.
- Sour Cream - buttermilk or whole milk can be substituted but it will slighlty alter the flavor of the cake.
- All-Purpose Flour - for a more tender crumb, you can use cake flour. Check out this article for substituting cake flour for all-purpose.
- Baking Soda
See the recipe card for quantities.
This is a great cake for new bakers. It is very easy and forgiving. Before you start preparing the batter be sure to preheat your oven and grease a 9x5 loaf pan with shortening and flour or cake release.
In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter, sugar, and vanilla together with an electric mixer on medium speed until it is light and fluffy. Add the sour cream and mix until it's incorporated.
In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt, and baking soda. Alternate adding some of the flour mixture followed by one egg, into the butter mixture beating after each addition. Repeat with all of the eggs and flour.
Tip: If you forget to leave your butter out to soften, don't worry! Simply grate your cold butter into your mixing bowl. It should be completely softened in about 5-10 minutes.
Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 40-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
Allow the cake to cool completely before removing it from the pan.
While this cake is absolutely delicious served all on its own, it is also the perfect blank slate for a variety of toppings:
- Strawberry Shortcake Sundae - Top the sliced pound cake with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and mascerated strawberries.
- Peaches and Cream - Serve sliced ripe peaches and fresh whipped cream over sliced pound cake.
- Nutella and Banana Grilled Sandwich - Make a sandwich of nutella and sliced bananas using two thin slices of pound cake as the bread. Lightly butter the outer side of the bread and toast them in a hot skillet just as you would a grilled cheese.
Pound cake, like most cakes are best enjoyed fresh. If you do have leftover cake store it covered at room temperature or in the fridge for up to 5 days.
This cake also freezes very well. You can freeze it whole or sliced for up to 6 months. To enjoy after freezing simply allow it to thaw at room temperature if desired you can also warm it slightly in the microwave although warming isn't required.
Adding sour cream to a cake not only adds a slight tangy flavor, but it also adds moisture and richness.
Using sour cream in your pound cake helps prevent it from drying out. But if you find that your pound cake has gotten dry you can try topping it with mascerated berries and/or whipped cream.
Pound cake is a variety of cake in the same way that sponge cake, angel food cake, and red velvet cake are all different varietes of cake. Bundt cake simply refers to the shape of a cake in the same way as round, layer, or sheetcake. In fact, you can bake a pound cake in a bundt pan for a bundt pound cake 🙂
Old Fashioned Sour Cream Pound Cake
- 9x5 inch Loaf Pan
- Cake Release
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Electric Mixer
- Medium Mixing Bowl
- Preheat your oven to 350° F and grease a 9x5" loaf pan with cake release.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter, sugar, and vanilla together with an electric mixer on medium speed until it is light and fluffy. Add the sour cream and mix until it's incorporated.½ cup Butter, 1 cup Sugar, ½ cup Sour Cream, 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt, and baking soda. Alternate adding some of the flour mixture followed by one egg, into the butter mixture beating after each addition. Repeat with all of the eggs and flour.1 ½ cups All-Purpose Flour, ½ teaspoon Baking Soda, 3 Large Eggs, ¼ teaspoon Salt
Be sure to read the entire post for tips, tricks, and help troubleshooting.
The nutrition information listed here is only an estimate and is simply provided as a courtesy. It nor any other information within this post should constitute medical or nutritional advice. Be sure to read all packaging and ingredient labels for potential allergens. Optional ingredients are not included unless otherwise specified.