Enjoy this keto-friendly Mint Chip Ice Cream whenever you need a sweet, yet refreshing treat. Best of all, it only takes a few common ingredients and doesn’t require an ice cream maker!
This Mom’s Menu is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links but all opinions are my own. I may earn money from purchases made through the links shared here (at no additional cost to you)
If you have been following my weekly menu posts, then you know that the past couple of weeks, I have been transitioning my kids to a low carb diet.
I’ve eliminated most grains, as well as all added sugars. On top of this, I have been making sure that they are getting plenty of fat in their diet. I’ve been noticing some positive changes in their behavior, which has been so encouraging.
The switch hasn’t been without a few rocky points. The first few days of this transition were pretty tough. To say that my kids were not happy is an understatement for sure.
This Keto mint chip ice cream was really the turning point.
When they tasted it, I knew I had a winner.
I have to say that I can totally relate to my kids on this one. Giving up the foods that you love is SO hard and part of what makes a ketogenic so sustainable is that you can make so many delicious treats that are completely keto-friendly. I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to live in a world without ice cream!
This recipe could not be easier! The only equipment you need is a large bowl and an electric hand mixer and a freezer.
Why not use a regular chocolate chip for this ice cream?
I get lots of questions asking about why I take the time to make chocolate “chips” for this ice cream instead of just using chips straight out of the bag.
When you freeze storebought chips straight from the bag they get really hard and they take a long time to melt. This means that when you are eating the ice cream you really don’t get much chocolate flavor.
By making a creamy chocolate chip, you end up with smoother ice cream and a chip that melts in your mouth as you are eating the ice cream.
With all that said, you can certainly skip the first three steps and just use packaged chocolate chips.
This ice cream will keep for a long time in the freezer, but after it’s frozen solid (this usually takes about 5-6 hours) you may need to let it sit out for a few minutes in order to scoop it.
Be sure to check out these other great recipes:
- Keto Coconut Chip Ice Cream
- Keto Pumpkin Ice Cream
- Sugar-Free Peppermint Ice Cream
- Keto Frozen Chocolate Chip Pie
- Keto Candy Cane Pie
- Keto Frozen Hot Chocolate
No Churn Mint Chip Ice Cream | Keto, Sugar Free
- Place the butter and the chocolate chips in a small microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds, then stir. repeat until it’s all melted. Stir in 2 tbsp of heavy whipping cream.
- Spread this mixture out onto a plate lined with a piece of parchment paper, to about 1/4 inch thickness. Place in the freezer for at least 30 minutes until it is solid.
- Remove from the freezer and use a pizza cutter or a small knife to slice the chocolate into small squares. Then return to freezer while you make the ice cream.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining heavy cream, the peppermint extract, erythritol and the food coloring (if using).
- Mix with an electric hand mixer on medium speed, until it doubles in size and becomes a thick, whipped cream consistency.
- Remove the chocolate from the freezer. Gently peel away the parchment and fold the chocolate into the heavy cream mixture.
- Transfer the mixture to a freezer safe container with a lid. Allow to freeze for 4-5 hours before serving.