These Low Carb Hush Puppies have all the flavor that you would expect from a traditional hush puppy, without the carbs!
If you ask me, hush puppies are the best part of seafood restaurants. No fried fish meal is complete without them.
Ingredients and substitutions:
- Butter – You can substitute ghee or coconut oil, but be warned you will loose some of the flavor. If you sub with coconut oil, I recommend using butter flavored coconut oil so they don’t come out to coconutty 🙂
- Coconut Flour – If you want, you can use almond flour. Since almond flour and coconut flour don’t substitute 1:1, you will probably need between 2/3 – 1 cup of almond flour.
- Onion – You can substitute extra onion powder or dried minced onion for the fresh onion.
- I don’t recommend substituting any other ingredients in this recipe
I opted to bake these in the oven instead of frying them. Coconut flour is super absorbent and it sucked up way too much oil when it was fried. I actually prefer baking them anyway because it cuts down on the mess, and I can make a bunch of them at once without babysitting a skillet.
I also recently updated the recipe instructions to bake them in a mini muffin pan. Originally I recommended chilling the dough, then scooping them onto a cookie sheet and baking. But they didn’t turn out as round and many readers complained that they were too flat.
If you prefer, you can still prepare them that way. But, I also find that baking them in the mini muffin pan makes the portions more even and thus the macros more accurate.
Be sure to check out these other great recipes from This Mom’s Menu:
Low Carb Hush Puppies
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and grease a 24 cavity mini muffin pan with butter or nonstick spray.
- Combine the butter and cream cheese in a medium bowl, using a hand mixer until its a smooth uniform consistency.
- Add the eggs and mix again.
- Next, add the coconut flour, baking powder, seasonings and onion. Mix well.
- Evenly distribute the batter into the prepared mini muffin pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool for a few minutes before removing them from the oven.