These keto hushpuppies are the perfect side dish for any Southern meal. They are easy to make and bake in the oven so clean-up is quick and easy as well.
This Mom's Menu is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links but all opinions are my own. I may earn money from purchases made through the links shared here (at no additional cost to you)
If you ask me, hush puppies are the best part of seafood restaurants. No fried fish meal is complete without them.
Ingredients and substitutions:
- Butter - You can substitute ghee or coconut oil, but be warned you will lose some of the flavor. If you sub with coconut oil, I recommend using butter-flavored coconut oil so they don't come out too coconutty 🙂
- Coconut Flour - If you want, you can use almond flour. Since almond flour and coconut flour don't substitute 1:1, you will probably need between ⅔ - 1 cup of almond flour.
- Onion - You can substitute extra onion powder or dried minced onion for the fresh onion.
- I don't recommend substituting any other ingredients in this recipe
I opted to bake these in the oven instead of frying them. Coconut flour is super absorbent and it sucked up way too much oil when it was fried. I actually prefer baking them anyway because it cuts down on the mess, and I can make a bunch of them at once without babysitting a skillet.
I also recently updated the recipe instructions to bake them in a mini muffin pan. Originally I recommended chilling the dough, then scooping them onto a cookie sheet and baking. But they didn't turn out as round and many readers complained that they were too flat.
If you prefer, you can still prepare them that way. But, I also find that baking them in the mini muffin pan makes the portions more even and thus the macros more accurate.
Yes, you can add grated cheese, minced jalapeños, chopped herbs, or crumbled cooked bacon to the batter for extra flavor and texture.
You can fry them, but I have achieved the best results from baking them. If you decide to fry them be sure to use an oil with a high smoke point for frying, such as avocado oil, coconut oil, or vegetable oil. Ensure the oil is hot enough to achieve crispy hushpuppies.
Store leftover keto hushpuppies in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a few days. You can reheat them in the oven or a toaster oven to maintain their crispiness.
Be sure to check out these other great recipes:
Keto Hush Puppies
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and grease a 24 cavity mini muffin pan with butter or nonstick spray.
- Combine the butter and cream cheese in a medium bowl, using a hand mixer until its a smooth uniform consistency.
- Add the eggs and mix again.
- Next, add the coconut flour, baking powder, seasonings and onion. Mix well.
- Evenly distribute the batter into the prepared mini muffin pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool for a few minutes before removing them from the oven.
Be sure to read the entire post for tips, tricks, and help troubleshooting.
The nutrition information listed here is only an estimate and is simply provided as a courtesy. It nor any other information within this post should constitute medical or nutritional advice. Be sure to read all packaging and ingredient labels for potential allergens. Optional ingredients are not included unless otherwise specified.