This Lemon Lush is the ultimate keto lemon dessert. It's deliciously light and refreshing and is perfect for spring and summer gatherings.
This Mom's Menu is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links but all opinions are my own. I may earn money from purchases made through the links shared here (at no additional cost to you)
This keto lemon dessert is the stuff dreams are made of. A sugar cookie crust, a lemony cream cheese layer, a layer of keto lemon curd and then all topped with some homemade whipped cream. It's seriously good!
This dessert needs to set for about an hour or so before serving but you can make it up to 5 days in advance so it's great for serving at parties and gatherings.
- Sugar Substitute - I used Powdered Monk Fruit sweetener throughout this recipe. For the crust, a granular or powdered sweetener will work, but for the cream cheese and lemon curd layer, a powdered sweetener is best. If you aren't counting carbs traditional sugar or powdered sugar will work fine as well.
- Neufchatel cheese - I opted to use this reduced fat version of cream cheese to cut back on the calories in this dessert but traditional cream cheese will work fine as well.
- The third lemon layer is super simple lemon curd, you can follow my recipe or substitute with any lemon curd that you like.
- Fresh or bottled lemon juice will work fine. If you are using fresh you will need about 4 lemons.
Other helpful tips:
- Make sure that the crust is completely set before you add the next layer, otherwise it will melt and be generally icky.
- If you want to lower the carbs a bit, you can make this crustless, but it will be more of a thick pudding.
- This recipe can easily be doubled to feed more people.
- Adding xanthan gum to the homemade whipped cream keeps it stable and prevents it from melting. If you don't use the xanthan gum that's fine, but I recommend waiting to make the whipped cream until just before serving.
Be sure to check out these other great recipes:
- Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes | Keto, Gluten Free
- Lavender Cupcakes | Keto, Gluten Free
- Keto Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Lemon Lush Dessert | Keto, Gluten Free
For the bottom crust layer:
For the second layer:
For the third lemon layer:
- First prepare the crust: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease an 8x8 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the Butter and sugar substitute. Beat with an electric mixer until well-combined and fluffy. Add the vanilla and egg and mix again. Next, add the almond flour and salt and mix until everything is incorporated.
- Transfer to the prepared baking dish and spread into an even layer. Bake in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes or just until the edges begin to brown. Once it is finished baking, set it aside to completely cool before assembling the dessert.
- While the Crust is baking begin to prepare the lemon layer: In a medium mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar substitute with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time while mixing on low speed, then add yolks. Continue to beat on low for another minute or two. The mixture should be smooth and creamy.
- Next, add the lemon juice and continue to beat on low speed until incorporated. At this point, you are going to think that I have lead you astray. The mixture will look lumpy and broken, but keep going 🙂
- Transfer the mixture to a medium sized saucepan and place over low heat. Whisk until the mixture is heated through and no longer has a curdled appearance.
- Increase the heat to medium and stir constantly, using a rubber spatula being sure to also scrape the bottom and sides of the saucepan, until the mixture thickened to a pudding-like texture.
- Remove from heat, sprinkle the Xanthan Gum on top and whisk it into the lemon mixture.
- Transfer the mixture to a dish and place it in the fridge to cool before assembling the dessert.
- While the crust and the lemon layer are chilling, prepare the second layer: In a large mixing bowl, combine the Neufchatel cheese and the powdered sugar substitute. Beat with an electric mixer until well combined then add the Lemon extract and sour cream. Beat again until well combined, then add the heavy cream and continue mixing until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Next, prepare the whipped cream layer by combining the heavy cream, powdered sugar substitute, and vanilla in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed until the mixture has nearly doubled in size and formed soft peaks. Sprinkle with the xantham gum and continue beating until the mixture forms stiff peaks.
- To assemble the dessert, top the cooled crust with the second Neufchatel cheese layer, smoothing into an even flat layer. Top the Neufchatel layer with the completely cooled lemon layer and smooth. Lastly, top with the whipped cream layer.
- Chill until ready to eat.
The nutrition information listed here is only an estimate and is simply provided as a courtesy. It nor any other information within this post should constitute medical or nutritional advice. Be sure to read all packaging and ingredient labels for potential allergens.