I can't be certain, but I'm pretty sure that if spring had a taste, it would be exactly like these Lavender Cupcakes. They are light and fresh making them the perfect dessert to impress guests at spring or summer gatherings.
This Mom's Menu is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links but all opinions are my own. I may earn money from purchases made through the links shared here (at no additional cost to you)
If you've never cooked with lavender then you are in for a real treat! It's such a unique and sophisticated flavor.
When cooking with lavender, be aware that less is more. There is a fine line between a hint of lavender and the feeling like you are eating potpourri.
In the cake, I used culinary grade lavender flowers. You could use lavender from your garden, but you will want to be careful if it has been treated with unsafe pesticides or herbicides that aren't safe for human consumption.
To keep the frosting smooth, I used Lavender oil instead of lavender flowers. For the oil, be sure that you are using a high-quality and food-safe oil. (I have linked to the products that I used below!)
You could substitute the oil, for the flowers in the cake. Just start by adding 2-3 drops at a time and then working your way up to taste.
Again we are going for a subtle lavender flavor - NOT potpourri
I also love to garnish these with some lemon zest to really amp up the springtime flavors. The lemon zest is subtle but makes a huge impact, so try not to skip it!
If you enjoyed this recipe, do me a favor and give it a rating in the comments below! The ratings are so helpful and I love getting your feedback 🙂
Other recipes from This Mom's Menu that you might enjoy:
- Keto Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Tres Leches | Keto, Gluten Free
- Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes | Low Carb, Gluten Free
Lavender Cupcakes | Keto, Gluten Free
For the cake:
- 1 ¼ cup super fine almond flour
- ¼ cup low carb vanilla whey protein powder
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 8 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ cup Confectioners Erythritol
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup Heavy Cream
- 2-3 teaspoon dried and ground lavender blossoms OR ⅛ teaspoon lavender oil See notes
For the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F and line a 12 cup muffin tin with cupcake liners or spray with non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl combine the almond flour, whey protein, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the butter, vanilla, erythritol, eggs, and heavy cream using an electric mixer.
- Working in batches, add the dry ingredients in with the wet, mixing after each addition, until you have a smooth creamy batter.
- Gently stir in 1 teaspoon at a time of the lavender blossoms. Taste after each addition and continue adding to suit your taste. **If you are using the oil, add 2-3 drops at a time. I use about ⅛ of a tsp.
- Distribute batter evenly between the muffin tin, about ¼ cup of batter per cupcake.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
For the frosting:
- In a medium bowl, combine the butter, vanilla, and cream cheese using an electric mixer. Next, mix in the erythritol.
- Add 1 - 2 tablespoon of heavy cream until you get a smooth frosting like consistency.
- Begin adding lavender oil 2-3 drops at a time, tasting after each addition. Stop when it suits your taste.
- After the cupcakes have completely cooled, spread the frosting evenly between them. Top with freshly grated lemon zest and enjoy!
Be sure to read the entire post for tips, tricks, and help troubleshooting.
The nutrition information listed here is only an estimate and is simply provided as a courtesy. It nor any other information within this post should constitute medical or nutritional advice. Be sure to read all packaging and ingredient labels for potential allergens. Optional ingredients are not included unless otherwise specified.