This easy homemade cheeseburger macaroni is like the classic hamburger helper but even better! Made with wholesome ingredients and full of flavor this easy one-pan dinner is sure to make it into your regular rotation.
This Mom's Menu is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links but all opinions are my own. I may earn money from purchases made through the links shared here (at no additional cost to you)
This recipe is perfect for busy nights. It cooks all in one pan and only requires about 30 minutes.
If you are looking for more easy ground beef recipes then be sure to check out my homemade sloppy joes or slow cooker cabbage roll casserole. I usually serve this homemade hamburger helper with a simple salad but it's also great with fresh green beans or zucchini tots!
Ingredients and Substitutions
One of the worst things about boxed cheeseburger macaroni is the ingredient list! This recipe uses only real, wholesome ingredients to get the best flavor.
- Ground Beef, ground turkey, or vegan ground beef substitute
- Onion Powder - I use onion powder because one of my kids will freak out if he even thinks he sees an onion 😂 You can use a diced onion in place of the onion powder, just add it in step one with the beef.
- Garlic Powder or fresh garlic
- Salt and Pepper
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Tomato Paste
- Beef Broth
- Macaroni Noodles
- Sour Cream
- Milk or milk substitute
- Cheddar Cheese
See the recipe card for quantities.
This cheeseburger macaroni requires hardly any equipment. You will need the following items:
- A skillet or pot with a lid and at least a 5-quart capacity.
- Measuring cups and spoons
- A spatula or other cooking utensils
Before you get started ...
This recipe comes together pretty quickly so it is a good idea to have all of the ingredients and tools ready to go before you begin.
When you see how easy it is to make homemade hamburger helper you will wonder why anyone buys the boxed stuff.
Heat a large skillet or pot with a lid over medium-high heat. Cook the ground beef, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper until the beef is no longer pink. Crumble to beef as it cooks. Drain any excess grease and return the beef to the pan.
Add the Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, beef broth, and macaroni noodles to the pan. Stir to combine and then bring to a boil.
Once it is boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for 4 minutes. Remove the lid and cook an additional 4 minutes uncovered.
Reduce the temperature to low and stir in the sour cream, milk, and cheese. Stir until the cheese is completely melted. Remove from the heat and enjoy!
Here are some of my favorite ways to change up this recipe:
- Lighten it up - To reduce the calories, swap the beef for lean ground turkey, use fat-free greek yogurt in place of the sour cream, and use skim milk. You can also replace the regular cheese with light or fat-free cheese but I wouldn't suggest it 🤢
- Make it low carb - Use heavy cream or almond milk in place of the regular milk and swap the pasta with low-carb pasta. I use and recommend Great Low Carb Pasta. It tastes really close to regular pasta and cooks the same as well.
- Southwestern Cheeseburger Macaroni - Add taco seasoning to the ground beef (about 3 tablespoons) in step 1, then add 1 can of Rotel (diced tomatoes and chilis) in step 2.
Check out my Homemade Skillet Beef Stroganoff Hamburger Helper!
Store leftover cheeseburger macaroni in the fridge for up to 5 days. I do not suggest freezing it. Reheat the leftovers in the microwave or in a skillet on low heat until heated through.
To change up traditional cheeseburger macaroni, add 3-4 tablespoons of taco seasoning to the ground beef, and add 1 can of diced tomatoes and chilis when you add the pasta.
I don't suggest freezing cheeseburger macaroni. The texture changes quite a bit when you reheat it. You can, however, store leftovers in the fridge for about 5 days!
Homemade Cheeseburger Macaroni
- 5-quart pot with a lid
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Cooking Utensil
- Cook the ground beef, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a large skillet or dutch oven, over medium-high heat until the beef is no longer pink. Crumble to beef as it cooks. Drain any excess grease and return the beef to the pan.1 lb Ground Beef, 1 tablespoon Onion Powder, 2 teaspoon Garlic Powder, Salt and Pepper
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, beef broth, and macaroni to the pan. Stir to combine and then bring to a boil.2 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce, 2 tablespoon Tomato Paste, 4 cups Beef Broth, 1 lb Macaroni Noodles
- Once it is boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for 4 minutes. Remove the lid and cook an additional 4 minutes uncovered.
- Reduce the temperature to low and stir in the sour cream, milk, and cheese. Stir until the cheese is completely melted. Remove from heat and enjoy!¾ cup Sour Cream, ½ cup Milk, 2 cups Cheddar Cheese
Be sure to read the entire post for tips, tricks, and help troubleshooting.
The nutrition information listed here is only an estimate and is simply provided as a courtesy. It nor any other information within this post should constitute medical or nutritional advice. Be sure to read all packaging and ingredient labels for potential allergens. Optional ingredients are not included unless otherwise specified.