This recipe for super crispy chicken thighs is completely foolproof. With this recipe, your chicken will turn out perfectly crisp on the outside and juicy on the inside every single time!
Up until recently, I totally sucked at pan frying chicken. I either wound up with perfectly crispy skin, and a completely raw inside, OR I had skin that charred with juicy meat on the inside. There was no middle ground here.
So for years I have completely avoided buying chicken with the skin on, which is super sad because it’s common knowledge that the skin of the chicken is the best part.
Thank goodness I stumbled upon an Instagram post from Bon Appetit a few weeks ago, that held the secret I had been looking for. From that day on my life was forever changed, and lucky for you, yours is about to change too!
So what is this life changing secret you ask?
Trust me when I say that it probably goes against everything that you think you know about cooking, but I promise it works! To make the crispiest chicken that you have ever had in your life – you place the chicken into a cold pan! No preheating the skillet whatsoever!
That’s it, simple as that!
Well, it’s actually not quite as simple as that, so be sure to read the recipe card below for the complete run down 🙂
I’ve kept the seasoning in this recipe super basic and simple so the chicken (and it’s crazy crispy skin) can really shine, but feel free to season it however you wish. I think some Cajun seasoning would be terrific!
You will want to avoid adding any liquid to the top of the chicken until you are serving, otherwise you risk making the skin soggy – and that is the exact opposite of what we are trying to accomplish here.
Also, don’t worry if chicken thighs aren’t your thing – you can substitute any piece of skin on chicken, but you will need to adjust the cooking time according to the size of the chicken pieces you are using.
Be sure to check out these other great recipes from This Mom’s Menu:
- Korean Ground Beef | Keto, Paleo, Whole 30
- Chicken Adobo | Keto, Paleo
- Low Carb Crispy Chicken Tenders
Did you make this recipe?
Don’t forget to rate and review it below! Also, be sure to tag @thismomsmenu and hashtag it #thismomsmenu on Instagram!
Crispy Chicken Thighs | Keto, Paleo, Whole 30
- Preheat the your oven to 425 degrees F.
- Using a paper towel, pat the chicken thighs dry and season them liberally with salt and pepper
- Spread the oil in the bottom of a large cast iron skillet, or other heavy, oven safe skillet. Arrange the chicken, skin side down in the skillet.
- Place the skillet over medium heat and cook until the chicken skin is brown and crispy, and easily releases from the bottom of the skillet (about 14-16 minutes)
- Transfer the chicken, skin side up to a plate and set aside.
- Add the minced garlic to the skillet, still over medium heat. Cook until fragrant (about 1-2 minutes) then add the chicken broth and stir to release any chicken bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the rosemary, and evenly distribute the lemon slices flat on the bottom of the skillet. Simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Return the chicken, still skin side up, to the skillet, sitting it on top of the lemon slices.
- Place the skillet into the preheated oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until juices run clear and a meat thermometer reaches 165 degrees.
- Serve the chicken drizzled with the liquid sauce from the bottom of the skillet, but refrain from pouring the sauce over the chicken until immediately before serving to prevent making the skin soggy.