Chocolate and hazelnuts were made to go together and these Chocolate Hazelnut Tarts are the perfect pairing! Share one with your sweetheart this Valentine's Day for a delicious and decadent dessert! This treat is free of added sugar and low carb making it a great option for those following a ketogenic diet.
*This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links, but all opinions are my own. I may earn money from purchases made through the links shared here (at no additional cost to you). This helps to support the site and keeps the content free.
Do you celebrate Valentine's Day?
This year, my teenage son is FINALLY old (and mature) enough to watch his little brothers long enough for my husband and I to actually go out to eat - without the kids!
It's SO easy to stick to a keto diet while eating at most restaurants. The only thing I usually have to "just say no" to, is dessert.
Most of the time that's no big deal, but you can't have Valentine's Day without dessert, right??
Instead of going without, I am whipping these little tarts up ahead of time so that we can enjoy them when we get home.
They are super decadent and you can make them with dark or milk chocolate to adjust the richness to your liking.
This recipe makes 2 very generous servings if you are using a mini tart pan. You could also easily divide this into 4 servings using silicone muffin liners or even 8 mini, bite size "muffins".
Also, I don't actually have mini tart pans. Instead I used THESE "treat cups" that my mom gave me. They actually worked perfectly so I highly recommend them!
They are not technically made for baking, but this goes into the oven so briefly, that Ihad no problem at all. For reference, they are 3.75" in diameter.
Chocolate Hazelnut Tarts
For the hazelnut "Crust"
For the chocolate filling:
- 1 oz sugar free chocolate chips (I use Lily's)
- ½ cup Heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 egg yolk
For the hazelnut "crust"
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F and prepare your treat cups, tart pans, or muffin liners with non-stick spray.
- Pulse the hazelnuts in a food processor until they become a fine flour-like consistency.
- In a small bowl, combine the melted butter, stevia and the ground hazelnuts, reserving about 1 ½ tsp of the hazelnuts.
- Evenly divide the hazelnut mixture between your tart pans. Press the mixture into the bottom and sides of the pan. If you are using a paper liner, be careful not to smash the accordion folds.
- Bake in preheated oven for 5-8 minutes until just beginning to brown. Remove from oven and set aside
For the filling:
- In a small saucepan, over medium heat, bring the heavy cream and butter to a low simmer, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the chocolate and stir constantly until it is completely melted.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the egg yolk. Continue whisking until the chocolate has a smooth and creamy consistency.
- Pour into baked crusts, sprinkle with reserved hazelnut flour, and chill in the refrigerator at least 1 hour or until firm
- To serve: Carefully remove from the tart pan or liner and enjoy!
The nutrition information listed here is only an estimate and is simply provided as a courtesy. It nor any other information within this post should constitute medical or nutritional advice. Be sure to read all packaging and ingredient labels for potential allergens.