This low carb and gluten free recipe for Chicken and Waffles is the stuff dreams are made of! It makes the perfect breakfast, but an even better breakfast for supper! Top it with butter, your favorite maple syrup, and enjoy!!
This Mom's Menu is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links but all opinions are my own. I may earn money from purchases made through the links shared here (at no additional cost to you)
Chicken and waffles is the perfect sweet and salty combination. It can be enjoyed any time of the day and can be customized with your favorite toppings and seasonings.
Ingredients and Substitutions
For the waffles you will need:
- Almond Flour - I like to use super fine almond flour but you can use any variety that you like. Make this nut free by swapping the almond flour with sunflower seed flour (affiliate)
- Baking powder, salt, and Eggs
- Sugar or sugar substitute.
- Heavy whipping cream or swap with half and half or coconut milk for a dairy-free recipe.
- Butter or butter-flavored coconut oil
- Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk or milk plus a half teaspoon of vanilla.
For the Chicken you will need:
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Tenders or chicken pieces of your choice
- Almond Flour
- Paprika, Garlic Powder, Salt, Pepper, and cayenne pepper, or any seasoning that you like.
You will start by making the waffles. Putting the mix together is quick, but cooking them can be time-consuming since you can only make one at a time. So I usually prepare the batter, then start cooking the waffles as I am preparing the chicken.
For the chicken, I opted to go for a tender, but you could use any piece of chicken you like. Bone-in or boneless will both work fine, but you may need to adjust the cooking time based on the chicken pieces you are using.
To make the chicken, Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F, and spray a foil-lined baking sheet with oil.
Next, combine the almond flour with the seasonings. Coat each piece of chicken in the mixture, then transfer to the baking dish.
Lightly spritz each piece of chicken with oil (I use a Misto affiliate) Place the chicken in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
Air fryer instructions: Preheat the air fryer to 375, place breaded chicken into the fryer basket, and spritz it with oil. Cook for 10-12 minutes or until done. Be sure to only cook one layer at a time.
This recipe is entirely gluten-free. However, it is best practice to check the label of each and every ingredient to ensure that they contain no gluten.
Yes, you can use store-bought gluten-free waffles for convenience. Just make sure to check the packaging to ensure they are gluten-free and do not contain any gluten-containing ingredients.
Yes, you can easily make this recipe dairy free by swapping the heavy cream with coconut milk, and the butter with coconut oil or ghee.
Store the chicken and waffles in separate containers in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months. For the best results reheat them in the oven.
Gluten Free Chicken and Waffles (Keto)
For the Waffles:
To make the waffles:
- Preheat the waffle maker to high heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Then, in a separate bowl, whisk eggs, then add cream, almond milk, and butter or oil, whisking until well combined.
- Slowly whisk the wet ingredients into the dry and stir just until combined.
- Spray the waffle maker with non-stick cooking spray if needed. Pour ½ cup of batter onto the hot waffle maker, close, and cook for several minutes, until steam coming from the waffle maker slows down a bit. Slowly open the waffle maker (if it doesn't open easily, your waffle likely needs to cook longer) remove the waffle and repeat with the remaining batter.
For the chicken:
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F, and spray a foil lined baking sheet with oil.
- Combine the almond flour with the seasonings. Coat each piece of chicken in the mixture, then transfer to the baking dish. Lightly spritz each piece of chicken with oil (I use a Misto!)
- Place the chicken in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes, flipping once halfway through.ORIf you have an air fryer, I HIGHLY recommend that you use it for this chicken! Simply preheat to 375, place breaded chicken into the fryer basket, and spritz with oil. Cook for about 10-12 minutes or until done. Be sure to only cook one layer at a time.
- Serve the waffles topped with chicken and the syrup of your choice!
Be sure to read the entire post for tips, tricks, and help troubleshooting.
The nutrition information listed here is only an estimate and is simply provided as a courtesy. It nor any other information within this post should constitute medical or nutritional advice. Be sure to read all packaging and ingredient labels for potential allergens. Optional ingredients are not included unless otherwise specified.