This low carb soup somehow manages to be deliciously comforting and super refreshing all at the same time. Enjoy it in just a matter of minutes using your instant pot.
This Mom's Menu is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links but all opinions are my own. I may earn money from purchases made through the links shared here (at no additional cost to you)
I don’t know about you, but I love a good cookbook. I know that in this day and age there are tons of free recipes out there, but something about holding a good cookbook in your hands just feels right.
A couple of weeks ago I had the privilege of getting a copy of a brand new Keto Cookbook, Keto Cooking with your Instant Pot by Dr. Karen S. Lee.
It is full of gorgeous photos and delicious recipes. My favorite thing about this cookbook is that the recipes are all super unique, full of wholesome ingredients, and most importantly they are recipes that the entire family will love.
This Chicken Mulligatawny Soup was the first recipe that I tried from the cookbook and it is definitely a keeper! In fact, my entire family loved it – even my super picky husband went for seconds!
The recipe written below is exactly as it appears in the cookbook. I did make a few modifications for convenience and to suit my personal preference.
I prefer thick soups, so I reduced the chicken broth to one cup which worked great for my family. I also used boneless skinless chicken thighs since that is what I had on hand.
The recipe didn’t state to cut up the chicken, but the next time I make this I think I will cut it into bite sized pieces before cooking so that it will be easier for my littles to eat.
I also used frozen caulioflower rice, which I just stirred in when the pressure had released from the pot. I usually prefer fresh cauliflower, but I had some of the frozen variety on hand and was actually really happy with how it turned out.
Lastly, I used ginger paste from a tube instead of fresh ginger. This modification was also just due to what I already had on hand and it also worked well.
I hope that you enjoy the recipe, and the cookbook as much as me!
Be sure to check out these other great recipes from This Mom’s Menu:
- Chicken Taco Soup | Instant Pot, Keto
- Keto Mongolian Beef | Instant Pot
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheesecake | Keto, Instant Pot
Recipe reprinted with permission from Keto Cooking with Your Instant Pot by Dr. Karen S. Lee, Page Street Publishing Co. 2018. Photo Credit Donna Crous.
Chicken Mulligatawny Soup | Keto, Instant Pot
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 1 Small Onion Chopped
- 1″ Fresh Ginger Minced
- 1 Celery Stalk Chopped
- 2 Small Carrots Diced
- 2 tsp Curry Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1/8 tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp Dried Thyme
- 8 Chicken Thighs, Bone in and skinless
- 3 cups Chicken Broth
- 2 cups Cauliflower Rice or Minced Florets
- 2 cups Full Fat Coconut Milk
- 1/4 cup Fresh Cilantro, plus 1 tbsp Chopped
- Turn on the instant pot by pressing “saute” and set to “more.” Insert the inner pot and wait until the panel says “Hot.” Melt the butter in the inner pot and saute the onions and ginger for 2 minutes or until the onions are soft. Add the celery and carrots and stir for 1 minute. Add the remaining ingredients except for the coconut milk and cilantro and press “Cancel.”
- Close the lid tightly and move the steam release valve to “sealing.”
- Press “Pressure Cooker/Manuel” button and set the timer for 15 minutes on High pressure. When the timer ends, allow the steam to release naturally until the float valve drops down. Open the lid and stir in the coconut milk and 1/4 cup of the cilantro.
- Press “Cancel.” Ladle the soup into bowls and serve garnished with remaining cilantro.