Intro paragraph for you to give a quick overview of this recipe, and entice the reader to continue reading because your recipe is fan-freaking-fantastic.
This Mom's Menu is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links but all opinions are my own. I may earn money from purchases made through the links shared here (at no additional cost to you)
This casserole is the perfect side dish for just about any occasion. It is great for weeknight meals or potluck dinners.
This was inspired by my Chicken broccoli and cauliflower rice casserole so if you are looking to make this into a full meal, or just want to try something similar be sure to check that out!
Ingredients and Substitutions
This recipe uses very basic ingredients and the seasonings can be easily adjusted to fit your preferences. (note - ignore the cream cheese in this pic. I initially included it, but after testing I found that mayo worked much better!)
- Frozen Broccoli Florets - you can also use fresh steamed florets!
- Sour Cream - you can also use plain greek yogurt or low fat sour cream
- Chicken Bullion Granules
- Onion Powder
- Cayenne Pepper - this is optional, but adds so much flavor!
- Dry Mustard or one teaspoon of regular mustard
- Salt and Pepper
- Cheddar Cheese or any cheese you like!
Ingredients for the crispy topping:
- Almond Flour
- Egg White
You can also replace this topping with any keto crackers that you like! Simply crush the cracker and mix them with melted butter then follow the directions as written.
See the recipe card for quantities.
Making this casserole is about as easy as it gets. Start by preheating the oven and greasing a baking dish.
Next, you will want to cook the broccoli according to the package directions (or steam the broccoli if you are using fresh). After the broccoli is cooked, transfer it to a strainer and gently press on the broccoli with the back of a large spoon or small bowl to remove some excess liquid.
While the broccoli is cooking, combine the remaining ingredients for the casserole (not the crispy topping).
Add the cooked broccoli to the bowl with the cheese mixture and stir until all of the broccoli is coated.
Transfer this mixture to the prepared baking dish and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
While it is baking, prepare the dough for the crispy topping by combining all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Chill the dough until the broccoli is finished baking.
After the initial 30 minute bake time, carefully remove the dish from the oven and crumble to dough on top of the casserole. Return the dish to the oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until the dough pieces have turned golden brown.
Tip: This crispy topping is almost the same recipe as my Keto Butter Crackers which is basically a keto club cracker. You can skip this dough and just make the crackers instead, then crumble them over the top of the casserole before serving!
- Try adding cooked and shredded chicken breast to make this a complete meal!
- Swap the broccoli for cauliflower or yellow squash.
- Use this recipe as a base in place of the spaghetti squash in my cheesy spaghetti squash and pork chops recipe!
This recipe only uses basic equipment. You will need a large and small mixing bowl, measuring cups and spoons, a 2.5-quart baking dish, and a mixing spoon or rubber spatula.
Store any leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days. Heat in the microwave or oven until heated through. Tip: reheat in the oven to keep the top crispy!
Unfortunately, this recipe does not freeze well.
Yes! Broccoli is a great, keto friendly vegetable option. One cup of broccoli florets has about 6 grams of total carbs, with 2.5 grams of fiber for a net carb total of 3.5 grams per cup!
Yes. It is a good idea to at least partially cook broccoli before adding it to this, or any casserole. Not only does precooking ensure that the broccoli is tender, but it also helps to remove some of the excess liquid in the broccoli which prevents your casserole from having too much liquid.
One serving of this casserole has 10 total grams of carbs, with 4 grams of fiber for a total of 6 net carbs.
This recipe serves 8. After baking, cut the casserole into 8 equal servings. Or, for a more accurate serving, weigh the empty casserole dish before baking. Then weight the dish after baking. Subtract the weight of the empty dish from the weight of the full dish. Divide that weight by 8 to determine the weight of one serving.
Share something here that you think is key to making this recipe well, such as: Don't overcook the burgers! Sear the outside and cook to a minimum internal temperature, but they should still be juicy for best results.
Cheesy Broccoli Casserole | Keto
- Mixing Bowls
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- 2.5-quart casserole dish
- 30 oz Frozen Broccoli Florets Cooked according to pacakage instructions
- 1 ¼ cup Sour Cream
- 1 Egg
- 1 tablespoon Chicken Bullion Granules
- 2 teaspoon Garlic minced
- ¼ cup Mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoon Onion Powder
- ⅛ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Dry Ground Mustard
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 3 cups Cheddar Cheese shredded
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and grease a 2.5-quart baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Cook the frozen broccoli according to the package directions, then place in a strainer and gently press to remove excess liquid.30 oz Frozen Broccoli Florets
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sour cream, egg, chicken bullion granules, garlic, mayonnaise, onion powder, cayenne, dry mustard, salt and pepper, and cheddar cheese1 ¼ cup Sour Cream, 1 Egg, 1 tablespoon Chicken Bullion Granules, 2 teaspoon Garlic, ¼ cup Mayonnaise, 2 teaspoon Onion Powder, ⅛ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper, ¼ teaspoon Dry Ground Mustard, Salt and Pepper, 3 cups Cheddar Cheese
- Next, add the cooked broccoli and gently stir to coat all of the florets.
- Transfer the broccoli mixture to the prepared baking dish. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- While the broccoli is baking, prepare the topping. Combine the almond flour, egg white, melted butter, and salt in a small bowl. Chill this dough until ready to use.¾ cup Almond Flour, 1 Egg White, 3 tablespoon Butter, ¼ teaspoon Salt
- After the broccoli has been in the oven for 30 minutes, carefully remove it from the oven. Remove the dough from the fridge, and crumble it into small pieces over the top of the broccoli.
- Return the dish to the oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until the crumbles on top are crispy and golden brown.
- Serve while still warm and enjoy!
Be sure to read the entire post for tips, tricks, and help troubleshooting.
The nutrition information listed here is only an estimate and is simply provided as a courtesy. It nor any other information within this post should constitute medical or nutritional advice. Be sure to read all packaging and ingredient labels for potential allergens. Optional ingredients are not included unless otherwise specified.