Have your carrot cake and your cheesecake too with this delicious recipe for a Carrot Cake Cheesecake! It's the perfect combination of these two classic desserts.
This Mom's Menu is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links but all opinions are my own. I may earn money from purchases made through the links shared here (at no additional cost to you)
Last week, I shared my top 10 recipes from 2018. It was no surprise to me that my Keto Carrot Cake was number one. It has consistently been one of my most visited recipes and the reviews are almost all extremely positive.
I had already been wanting to make this cheesecake version of my carrot cake, but seeing the popularity of the original definitely made me get a move on!
If you have seen any of my other cheesecake recipes, you know that I am a firm believer that their is no better way to make a cheesecake then in the instant pot. It delivers a perfect cheesecake every single time without any worry of over cooking.
I have included the recipe video for my Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheesecake so that you can see the technique for cooking a cheesecake in the instant pot.
But don't worry, I have included instructions for baking in the oven if you aren't convinced or if you don't have an instant pot. If you are baking in the oven, the best way is to use a water bath. I have described that in the recipe instructions, but you can check out THIS video for a demo as well.
Ingredients and Substitutions
For the carrot cake layer, I used my original carrot cake recipe. For possible substitutions be sure to check out the original post, and don't forget to read the comments as well since many readers have offered helpful substitutions.
If you aren't a fan of my Carrot Cake, or if you don't have all of the ingredients. You can swap it for any low carb carrot cake that you like. You can get a keto carrot cake mix from Good Dee's and Lisa at Low Carb Yum Has a great recipe which you can find HERE.
The cheesecake layer is a pretty typical cheesecake. You can substitute the sweetener with any that you like, although it should be a bulk sweetener and not a liquid. Also, you will want to be sure to check the conversion ratios.
When making this recipe, I had no intention of adding a frosting. But honestly the best part of a carrot cake is the frosting so I went ahead and added a thin layer. Not only does it taste delicious, but it makes the cheesecake so pretty! However, you can omit this layer, as well as the chopped pecans on top if you wish.
I used Lakanto Monk Fruit Sweeteners in this recipe. They are some of my favorites because they don't get as gritty as other low carb sweeteners tend to do, and I also don't notice as much of a cooling effect.
Be sure to check out these other great recipes:
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheesecake | Keto, Instant Pot
- Banana Bread Bottom Cheesecake | Keto, Instant Pot
- Keto Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Carrot Cake Cheesecake | Keto, Instant Pot
For the bottom, carrot cake layer:
For the cheesecake layer:
- Preheat the oven to 350 Degrees F and grease a 7" or 8" Springform pan with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, beat together the erythritol and butter until fluffy. Beat the eggs in, then the almond milk and vanilla. Next, beat in the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, and spices.
- Fold in the shredded carrot and mix just until it is well integrated into the batter.
- Transfer to prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool to the touch at room temp, before adding the cheesecake layer.
- While carrot cake is cooling, prepare the cheesecake filling. In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese and erythritol using an electric hand mixer, until smooth and creamy. Add in the vanilla, sour cream, and heavy cream and mix until well combined.
- Add the egg, and mix just until combined. Be careful not to over mix the egg, as it will change the texture of the cheesecake.
- Pour this mixture into the pan, on top of prepared carrot cake.
To bake in the instant pot:
- Wrap the cheesecake with foil – crimping around the edges so that it stays secure.
- Pour 1 ½ cup of water into the inner liner of your instant pot and place the trivet in the bottom, keeping the handles folded up.
- Fold a large piece of aluminum foil (about 2 feet) 4 times to make a sling that you will use to lift the cheesecake out of the IP when it's done cooking.
- Lay the sling out, and set the cheesecake on top of it, centered. Gather up the two ends and carefully lift the pan, and set it into the instant pot. Leave the sling in place, just folding the edges over.
- Secure the lid on your instant pot and set the steam vent to the sealing position.
- Press “manual” and then the + or – button to adjust the time to 30 minutes. (make sure it is set to HIGH pressure)
- When the cooking cycle ends, allow pressure to naturally release and carefully remove cheesecake from pot using the sling.
- Leave it covered for about 30 minutes, then carefully peel off the foil. Let it sit at room temp for about 1 hour, then refrigerate for about 4 hours before serving or removing from springform pan (tough, I know!)
For baking in the oven:
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place a large pan filled with ½ inch of water in the oven.
- Carefully place cheesecake into the preheated water bath in the oven. Bake for 10 minutes, then turn the oven down to 350°F and bake for 25-30 minutes or until top is browned and the cheesecake is only slightly jiggly. Remove from oven and allow to sit at room temp for 1 hour, then in chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours before serving or removing from springform pan.
For the optional topping:
- Combine all of the ingredients except the pecans in a small bowl. Once they are well combined, microwave for 10-15 seconds making the frosting pourable.
- Once cheesecake is cooled, pour the frosting over the top and spread into a thin, even layer.
- Top with the chopped pecans if desired.
Be sure to read the entire post for tips, tricks, and help troubleshooting.
The nutrition information listed here is only an estimate and is simply provided as a courtesy. It nor any other information within this post should constitute medical or nutritional advice. Be sure to read all packaging and ingredient labels for potential allergens. Optional ingredients are not included unless otherwise specified.