These boozy candies are a traditional Kentucky confection and they are really easy to make. Luckily this keto and sugar-free version doesn’t miss a beat!
This Mom’s Menu is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links but all opinions are my own. I may earn money from purchases made through the links shared here (at no additional cost to you)
Bourbon balls are a Kentucky delicacy and this time of year they are plentiful. I have to admit that even though I grew up in Kentucky, I’ve never been a fan of bourbon. But I make an exception for these candies! Something about the combination of bourbon and chocolate is seriously heavenly.
Tips for making bourbon balls:
- You can modify these to suit your desired level of booziness by adding more or less bourbon. The coconut flour helps to absorb the excess liquid, so just add more or less of it as well.
- It’s important that you use confectioners swerve or powdered Lakanto. Usually, you can make your own powdered sweetener, but for this recipe – the real deal works best.
- These bourbon balls can be made ahead of time. They will keep in a sealed container in the fridge for at least a week and can even be frozen for several months. For a real treat, enjoy one from the freezer as soon as it’s soft enough to bite into!
- My favorite bourbon brand is Evan Williams. Besides that we are practically neighbors, I also love that is it reasonably priced and easy to find in stores. I also find that it has the best flavor for cooking.
Evan Williams has a flavor that is smooth and neutral enough to go with a wide variety of dishes, but bold enough to stand up to other strong flavors.
Be sure to check out these other great recipes:
- Bacon and Bourbon Lamb Chops
- Kentucky Hot Brown Casserole | Keto, Gluten Free
- Kentucky Burgoo | Crockpot, Keto
- Mint Juleps | Keto, Sugar Free
- Kentucky Derby Pie | Keto, Sugar Free
Bourbon Balls | Keto, No Added Sugar
- Combine bourbon and chopped pecans in sealable container and allow to soak for up to 24 hours.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the swerve, butter and cream cheese using an electric mixer until well incorporated and slightly fluffy.
- Add in the bourbon and pecan mixture, as well as the coconut flour. mix again until smooth, then place in the fridge to chill for at least 10 minutes
- Once the mixture has chilled, scoop by the tablespoon onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Try to smooth the scoops out into balls, but be careful not to handle them too much. You should have about 20 balls. once you are finished, place the baking sheet into the freezer.
- While they are chilling, place the chocolate and coconut oil into the top bowl of a double boiler over medium heat. Stir constantly until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Remove bourbon balls from the freezer and one by one, Dip into the chocolate, working very quickly, coat all sides. Return to the parchment and top with one pecan half. Repeat with remaining bourbon balls.
- Place them in the fridge or freezer to set and until ready to serve.