Maybe you are eating a ketogenic diet and you’re wondering if a membership to Sam’s Club is worth the cost – or – maybe you already have a membership, but you want to plan for your next shopping trip and you aren’t sure what you should be looking for…
No matter what has led you to this post, I can promise that when you are done reading you will have a much better idea of what Sam’s Club has to offer the low carb crowd.
Before I go through my Sam’s Club must haves, there are a few things that you need to know before you hit the store:
- Sam’s Club is a warehouse store where the majority of products are sold in bulk. There isn’t a ton of brand selection. However, some of the more popular products will have a few options.
- You need to have a membership to shop at Sam’s Club. You can get your membership in the store on online (keep reading for a special offer!)
- There are a few options for memberships. The basic and business memberships both cost $45 while the Plus membership costs $100. The plus membership allows for early shopping hours and also gives you $10 cash back for every $500 that you spend. It also includes extra savings on optical services and pharmacy. We upgraded to the plus membership this year and have earned enough cash back to make up the difference plus I love the early shopping hours!
- You absolutely MUST download the SCAN & GO app to your phone before you head to the club. You simply sign into your membership account from the app, then scan products using your phone as you shop. When you’re done shopping, simply pay RIGHT FROM YOUR PHONE AND LEAVE! Yep this is HUGE! No waiting in lines at Sam’s Club EVER!
- Sam’s club also offers free order pick up. You just go online and order what you want, and schedule a time to pick it up. When you get to the club, check in with customer service and they will bring your order out for you. You can also use EBATES when shopping online to get additional cash back on your Sam’s Club order! (You also get $10 from ebates when you make your first purchase of $25!)
SPECIAL OFFER: You can get a bonus $20 Sam’s Club gift card when you sign up for a membership through THIS LINK!!!
Now let’s get to my list of MUST HAVES from Sam’s Club!
- Nuts – You will find a HUGE assortment of nuts at Sam’s Club, all for a reasonable price. You can find roasted nuts in the snack section, and raw nuts in the baking section. My favorite is the salt and pepper pistachios!
- ZipFizz – ZipFizz is an electrolyte and B vitamin supplement with a little bit of caffeine. It’s a great option for a keto friendly pre-workout and it helps to boost low energy levels. I don’t use it every day, but it’s nice to have when needed.
- Parmesan Cheese Crisps – If you have been eating low carb or keto for any amount of time, then you have surely encountered these amazing cheese crisps! Sam’s carries their own brand of these crisps. Enjoy them on a salad, or just whenever you need a crunchy snack!
- Almond Flour – This is my favorite thing on the list. Not only does it come in convenient 3lb bag, but at only 13.98 it’s SO much cheaper then when you will find at any traditional grocery store.
- Coconut Oil – Coconut oil lasts forever and is used a ton in keto kitchens. Buying in bulk at a cheaper price then most other stores only makes sense! This coconut oil comes in a 56oz jar and costs $14.98 at my club.
- Eggs – Oh my word, do we go through a lot of eggs at my house! They are my favorite kind of food: Easy, healthy and CHEAP! I buy a box of 7.5 dozen at a time but, they sell them in smaller quantities as well.
- Specialty Cheeses – Sam’s Club has all your standard cheeses, generally available in blocks, shredded or sliced. But the specialty cheeses are my favorite, and most of the time, you can get them at a great price. They also have a great selection of snacking cheese and cheese dips!
- Meat – This is kind of a no brainer, but meat is a huge staple in most keto or low carb diets and so I felt it couldn’t be skipped. my Sam’s Club has an amazing selection of meat and the quality is outstanding. I can also get some unusual cuts of meat that my regular grocery doesn’t carry. (Sorry no pic! When I was at the store, the meat section was packed and I didn’t want to seem like a super creeper taking pics of random people 🙂 )
- Ready to Eat Meats – The ready to eat meat selection at Sam’s Club is great and includes beef brisket, pulled pork and grilled chicken breast among others. It’s so handy for busy nights and they all freeze really well. They are all mildly seasoned so you can add them to many different dishes or salads for a super quick meal.
- Frozen Salmon Burgers – These are AMAZING! I am not a huge fish eater, and these make it so easy to incorporate salmon into my regular diet. They have a great, but mild flavor and they cook really quickly making them the perfect week night supper.
- Bacon, Hot Dogs and Sausages – or as I like to call them Yum, Yum, and Yum! Unfortunately, Sam’s doesn’t have a huge variety of uncured processed meats, but if you are OK with that, then be prepared to save some serious cash on your bacon habit!
- Butter – No keto food list would be complete without butter, right? Sam’s club carries a good selection of butter including salted, unsalted in both regular and organic, as well as salted Kerrygold. (For some reason the kerrygold is kept in the specialty cheese section?)
- Sugar Free Coffee Syrups – I try to avoid these kinds of things as much as possible, but sometimes they just hit the spot. Sam’s has a good selection of sugar free coffee syrups for a crazy low price!
- Almond Butter – If natural unsweetened almond butter is your thing, then Sam’s club is your place. Buy a jar as big as your head for less then $10! Unfortunately they do not carry a good keto peanut butter option at this time 🙁 .
- Propel – Electrolytes are SO important when eating a keto diet. I love getting these propel single packs for an on-the-go solution. They are great to toss in my purse for anytime I feel myself getting sluggish.
- Sam’s has a great selection of organic spices and seasonings at a great price. I highly recommend stocking up on the ones that you find yourself using frequently.
- I didn’t mention the produce – but it’s great! My Sam’s doesn’t always carry avocados, but when they do they are super cheap! you can usually get greens for salads, bell peppers, asparagus, green beans and Brussels sprouts among other things.
- You can get heavy whipping cream at a decent price, for great quality – although this recently fell off my Sam’s Club shopping list because Kroger recently dropped their price significantly.
- If quick meals are your thing – you need to get the frozen Angus burger patties. They are SO good!
- They carry a couple brands of chorizo -both are super tasty and crazy cheap!
- For a quick snack grab the Jack Links beef steak sticks. They are pretty good, and have the lowest carb count of most readily available jerky.
- If you are a LaCroix drinker then head to Sam’s Club ASAP! You can get a case of 24 for under $8!
- Sam’s carries and good option if you like low carb tortillas. They have 5 net carbs per tortilla, and come in a pack of 20 for $5!
So that’s it! If you are a regular Sam’s shopper, I’d love to know what’s on your list!
PS – I get a lot of questions about Sam’s Club vs Costco and I can’t completely answer that question. I live less then a 2 minute drive from Sam’s and about 30 from the nearest Costco – so I’ve only shopped at Sam’s.
From what I have seen – it definitely seems like Costco outperforms Sam’s Club in the healthy selection department, but that could just be my own FOMO setting in 🙂 If you have the opportunity to shop at both stores, I would visit each store on a guest weekend and decide for yourself!
*This post may be sponsored or contain affiliate links, but all opinions are my own. I may earn money from purchases made through the links shared here (at no additional cost to you). This helps to support the site and keeps the content free. Thanks for your support!!